How to Surprise Your Loved Ones This Valentine’s Day…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

With Christmas and New Year’s celebrations now past us, many of us are looking forward to the next holiday or special occasion to fill our lives with much needed bliss and relief from the piles of work we have returned to after a long deserved winter break. Well, many of us are already counting down the days left to the next date circled in our calendars, and that day is of course Valentine’s Day. Ah, Valentine’s Day, a day to express our affection and love not only for our significant other, but for family and friends as well.  Many of you may now be cringing at the thought of having to shower your loved ones with gifts so soon after the holidays. There’s no need to worry, just keep in mind these simple tips on how to make sure both you and those closest to your heart enjoy this festive occasion!

Candy Grams

You are never too old to get absolutely giddy over receiving a candy gram, whether it’s from a secret admirer, a close friend, or a family member. These adorable little candy-filled bags are a perfect way to show whoever you desire that you care enough to remember their favourite treat. Heart shaped chocolates, cookies, or any other assortment of sweets your beloved may enjoy are easy to get your hands on this time of year. Even if you’re special someone absolutely despises candy (the likelihood of which is close to zero), you can always fill your candy gram with more creative gifts, such as a coupon to the person’s favourite café, a Valentine’s Day themed mug, a cute stuffed animal, jewelry, or anything else you think will perfectly express how you feel for whoever is receiving your gift. Remember, it’s the thought that counts!

Roses (or any other type of flower for that matter)

It may seem overdone, but it’s Valentine’s Day! Of all the special occasions we celebrate during the year, Valentine’s Day is perhaps the most appropriate if not essential day to show your affection for mothers, sisters, friends or a significant other with a beautiful bouquet of their favorite flowers. In fact, although roses are timeless, presenting your loved ones with a different floral arrangement is just as thoughtful and expresses how much you care just as well!

Hand-made Cards

Now sure, you could save yourself the trouble and just buy a card from the mall, but there’s something about a hand-made card topped off with a touching personalized message that brings joy to even the crankiest on your list of loved ones to surprise this Valentine’s Day. Whether you choose to be comical, sincere, or even a little corny, this thoughtful gift is sure to brighten anyone’s day and he or she will probably remember the sentiment for a while to come, perhaps even until next Valentine’s Day (in which case you may be pleasantly surprised with a gift yourself in return for all your hard work!)

A Nice Evening Out

Whether you choose to take your beloved to a classy restaurant, watch a movie together at home or on the big screen, or if you simply decide to get together with friends to celebrate this occasion, a fun night out is a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day with those you treasure most in your life, and even of treating yourself to a well-deserved break from your normal day-to-day troubles!

So even if you’re not the biggest fan of Valentine’s Day, just try to spend it in any way you think will make it a pleasant occasion for you and those you care about, after all, it does only come around once a year!

Picture Sources:

http://www.brettbrooks.org/umass/2011/02/04/candy-grams-for-your-valentine/

http://www.onlygowns.com/blog/valentine-day-gift-ideas-for-her.asp

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.