Holiday Popular Culture to get you through exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

In the live action version of Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas, a film I’m sure a lot of us would rather not acknowledge the existence of, Cindy Lou Who sings a song called Where are You Christmas. When I was young and naïve and found this film to be in the world of acceptability, this was one of my favourite Christmas songs. I bought the version on the film’s soundtrack- performed by Faith Hill- on iTunes for 99 cents and preceded to annoy everyone in my household with my own heartfelt rendition. However, I must admit that the lyrical content went over my seven year old head. Now that I am older and wiser and cynical and disillusioned- I totally get it. The song is all about how the meaning of Christmas changes through the years; what that has to do with Cindy Lou Who, I have no idea, but I can certainly relate. The holiday season used to be a month long celebration of joy- now it is intermixed with handing in term papers and studying endlessly for exam; it goes by so fast.

But this is okay- it’s a natural part of getting older. Though I have plenty to celebrate, and I have plenty to feel jolly about, I still can’t help but miss the pure joy that came from being a kid at Christmastime- able to put all my energy into Christmas décor and singing along to the most annoying of Christmas carols. Luckily there are still certain songs, certain movies, and certain sitcom episodes that are still able to put me back into that place- even if it’s just temporary. Some of these things are pure celebration; others have a hint of sadness and reflection. Here are my personal favourite holiday themed pieces of popular culture. I have left out the most obvious ones- I could totally write a dissertation on Love Actually but I’ll spare everyone on that.

David Bowie and Bing Crosby: Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth

I’ll start this one with a disclaimer- I am far from a David Bowie aficionado; when it comes to Bowie, I know the hits and I am not ashamed to admit that. I have always enjoyed this delightful version of Little Drummer Boy and Peace on Earth performed by him and Bing Crosby. Frankly Little Drummer Boy can be one of the more insufferable Christmas songs and I am saying this as someone who has heard the Jessica Simpson version roughly thirty times. But there’s something about the mix of these two different voices that amplify the song to new heights. I think you really need to watch the full clip to get the full affect because the interaction between the two men is also quite delightful.

Cheers Season 2 Episode 12: “Where There’s a Will”

I was wearing a Cheers t-shirt on Election Day, and if that somehow ruins Cheers for me I am going to be really angry because to me Cheers is the perfect show and it remains a perfect show 30 years later. Besides the hair, and the shoulder pads, and the lack of diversity in the cast- very little has aged badly. This is not the typical sitcom Christmas episode chronicling the shenanigans involved in gift giving- the episode is holiday-like in theme rather than content. It is of course Winter and a man has come to the bar after receiving devastating news- he has just been told he has six months to live. The gang at Cheers are determined to show him a good time- and this results in him endowing them a substantial amount of money. The episode unfolds dealing with the deeper meanings of the holiday season- the complex relationship between giving and receiving.

Darlene Love: Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)

A Christmas Gift For You from Phil Spector is probably the greatest Christmas album of all time, which is a huge bummer considering that Phil Spector is indeed a murderer. I went into a Wikipedia rabbit-hole trying to figure out how royalties work in prison to see if I am giving money to a lady killer every time I play one of these tracks but I just got more confused. It sucks when good art is made by awful people, but I also don’t believe in punishing the female artists who had to work with him all those years and they are the voices of the album. Women like Darlene Love who really makes this hit track what it is. I like Christmas music with an undercurrent of sadness, like this song has, but it remains a clappable jam.  

The Family Stone (2005)

Let me make this perfectly clear- The Family Stone is not a good movie. It is very important that you go in with that knowledge; then you can just sit back, relax, and find yourself able to enjoy this soppy tale of this WASPy New England family. If you’re like me and you have seen Love Actually or the Holiday a few times too many, this is an incredibly satisfying alternative that hits similar formulaic but oh so entertaining beats.

Patton Oswalt: Christmas Shoes

I’m sure many of you have heard that insufferable diddy that comes on the radio this time of year about the poor child buying a pair of shoes for his dying mother. Comedian Patton Oswalt does a lyrical breakdown, pointing out the sinister nature of the song that will really add to your Holiday experience.

Dolly Parton: Hard Candy Christmas

Besides the chorus, I’m not exactly sure what this song has to do with Christmas, but Dolly Parton can really do no wrong. This is the movie version of one of the the closing numbers in the classic musical Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and the title tells you what you need to know. In a way it’s about getting through life and getting through the holiday season along with that. A message I’m sure we can all relate to.

Rachel Bloom: Chanukah Honey

Thought I should include a Chanukah number as well, though it is slim pickings. Actress/Comedian Rachel Bloom released this great parody of Santa Baby, a song which I have always found to be incredibly creepy. I get it’s tongue and cheek but the song really just rings of unresolved Daddy Issues.

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)

I don’t really know if this is a good movie. It is charming and lovely to look at, but it’s far from a masterpiece. There is really only one thing that makes it a must see and that is the performance of Judy Garland. Knowing the tragedy of her life makes it somewhat sad to watch now, but the warmth of her voice is truly remarkable. It is of course best known for Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, and if you’re listening to anyone else sing this song you’re doing it wrong. Especially since in other versions they change the best lyric. Today you might hear: Through the years we all will be together/ if the fates allow/ hang a shining star upon the highest bough. Frank Sinatra famously requested the change from the original and gloomier: Until then we’ll have to muddle through somehow. But it is the gloominess and melancholy that make the song so beautiful. So you should watch the movie, but if you’re busy and you just want to fast forward to her performance, that’s fine too.

Film major not afraid to admit 8 1/2 went over her head. For neverending rants about the "Phantom of the Opera" and thoughts on the golden age of the WB you can follow her on twitter: @walkerlucyg
Architecture History and Design Double Major and Environmental Geography Minor at the University of Toronto