HC Reviews: Koko! Share Bar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

My friend and I recently tried Koko! Share Bar located at 81 Yorkville Avenue and I have to say it was absolutely delicious.

A fusion of Japanese and Korean cuisines with a modern twist, the menu consists of quite an extensive list of sushi, rolls, with many being their own creations, and selections of main dishes including classic Korean Bibimbap.
The restaurant is small and intimate. The décor is simple, not too fancy, yet still warm, with the wood accents from the tables.

As soon as I walked in, the waiters were warm and inviting. They definitely knew their menu and suggested many appetizers and sushi as well as main dishes. Since it was our first time there, we went with the suggestions, all of which were amazing.

We had the Maguro Modern Roll, which is yellowfin tuna with a bit of kick, Agedashi Tofu (fried tofu with some tempura sauce), Gyoza (Japanese vegetable dumpling), and the Roasted Miso Black Cod with asparagus and served with steamed rice.

Every single dish I tried was spectacular. The raw fish was fresh and unique, the tofu was deep fried and still quite light. The dumplings were nice and crisp on the outside and kept moist on the inside. My favourite had to be the black cod. It had a sauce that contained some miso and some other special ingredients that just made it somewhat sweet but still let the natural taste of the black cod through. I naturally love black cod, but if you are not a person who likes fish, they still have some great alternatives, including beef short ribs, spicy chicken dishes, and an interesting tofu bibimbap.

We ate quite early, and didn’t get to hear any live music, but I’d love to go again (this time later in the evening) to try some of the other dishes and enjoy the music.

Although not quite student budget friendly, for an occasional nice night out with some girlfriends, or a date, I would highly recommend this restaurant.  It is a definite must-try, and who knows, you might run into some celebrities like Maria Sharapova, Josh Groban or Mark Harmon, have all paid a visit to Koko! Share Bar.

For more information visit www.kokosharebar.com/

Harriet is a fourth year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Human Biology with double minors in East Asian Studies and Linguistics. She recently joined the Her Campus Team and is extremely excited to have started the University of Toronto branch. Her favourite activities include travelling, eating good food and of course shopping.