Fun in the Sun: Buskerfest and TAIWANfest in Toronto

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Our beloved Toronto has a renowned reputation for its sights, and sounds all year round. But increasingly, the city is beginning to develop a reputation as a hotspot for all sorts for various different types of festivals. Although Toronto always has enjoyable activities and events during the year (Winterlicious, anybody?), it’s during the warm and bright summer days that people inside and outside of the city really flock to the downtown core to see what it has to offer.

As every good Torontonian knows, major summer events such as Summerlicious, Pride Week Celebrations, and the Toronto Jazz Festival are not to be missed. However, these are not all there is to celebrating cultures, and diversity within the city! Luckily for me, the weekend of August 22nd hosted a double-whammy of two different festivals that I greatly enjoyed.

Annual Buskerfest

August 21-24

The annual Buskerfest was sponsored by Scotiabank, and it is in support of Epilepsy Toronto. The event was free of charge, but donations were encouraged since profits from this festival went towards supporting the cause of Epilepsy Toronto. The festival lit up downtown Yonge Street as celebrations went all weekend, starting on the Thursday. Not only were there cool promotions and yummy food trucks every five feet, Yonge Street from Gerrard to Queen was jam-packed with people, performers, and acts that dazzled! As the talented performers were roaming about, I could clearly tell that these were not the average street performers that haunt Yonge and Dundas Square. I saw first-hand acts reminiscent of a circus performer, including but not limited to one man who was not afraid to test his luck with a well-lit whip. There was also a coin-operated mechanical accordion player who would not be out of place in an eerie Stephen King novel. Most impressive of all, how can you forget a festival that included a one-man band who marched to the beat of his own drums? Major restaurants around the area also came to promote their wares and to add to the fun. Although it was rather gloomy and rainy for part of Friday, it doesn’t seem like that dampened the good fun, and high spirits of the festival participants.

TAIWANfest at Harbourfront Centre

August 22-24

Taking place at the same time as the Buskerfest weekend was the annual celebration of Taiwanese-Canadians at the Harbourfront Centre. Due to Toronto’s reputation for multiculturalism and diversity, an entire festival dedicated to celebrating a cultural group some come as no surprise. 

TAIWANfest focused on unique aspects of Taiwanese culture as well as incorporating the contributions of Taiwanese-Canadians people that relate to both Toronto, and Canada. Looking out towards Lake Ontario, complemented by the Power Plant art gallery and the natural scenery of the lake, I had a lovely and enriching experience at the festival as I checked out some of its contemporary art.

One of my favorite aspects of the festival was the pavilion of different Taiwanese-Canadians, showing off successful careers in fields ranging from architecture, to fine art & design. As I sauntered about the festival, I also had the pleasure of coming across a game tent that showcased popular Taiwanese games. One of which was a huge blue dice being tossed around! I think my favorite game to play at the festival might have been the Super Taiwanese Pinball, because who can say no to a oversized and colourful version of your favorite childhood arcade game? Another one of the other unique experiences I had at the festival was a traditional tea ceremony performance, accompanied by narration explaining each ceremonial gesture’s symbolism and importance. Lastly, there was also a display of could have been read as a contemporary art installation. The open, and intriguing exhibition consisted of different straw- made people holding different traditional instruments, and gesturing.

Now that you, readers and urbanites of Toronto have just finished reading my testimonial to the awesome time I’ve had at two of the festivals Toronto has to offer. My suggestion would be for you all go out and experience some of the festivities for yourselves. Although summer and its respective festivals are coming to an end, there are always festivals and events going on in Toronto for everyone to enjoy!

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com