Five Tips for a Happy, Healthy Return

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

After spending the majority of winter break in a food-comatose state, its time to get back to business. However, getting back into the regular grind can prove to be quite challenging. Instead of putting immense pressure on yourself to hop back in right away, here are a few strategic steps you can take to ensure an easy ride back to reality.

1)Don’t stress. Yes, for some taking full-year courses, you may have essays and such right off the bat but try not to sweat it. Like they taught you in high school, cramming is hardly the best mode of studying and can be very damaging to your psyche and your body. Instead follow the age old motto: “do your best, forget the rest.”

For those of you who are starting off the new year with all brand-new courses, rejoice. No need to start putting unnecessary stress on yourself right away. The first week back is the time to get excited about all this semester has to offer you and all you will learn, after all isn’t that what school is all about?

2) Stay positive. Face it those people walking around with a smile on their face are using 26 less muscles than that grumpy goose who frowns. So turn that frown upside down and see the glass half-full, you will be better off for it. And if simply smiling doesn’t work for you try using a mantra everyday such as: “this year will be spectacular” and truly believe that it will be. 

3) Sleep. Last semester’s schedule threw you against the wall and you were exhausted. Coming back from break try your best to get a regular rest of at least 7 hours each night. Not only will you feel more relaxed and energized, you will look fresh-faced and healthy. However, keep in mind that regular hours of sleep, for example between the hours of 12-9 each evening, will also help you feel more rested rather than a sporadic schedule. 

4) Eat regularly. Food is fuel. It is important while you dash from class to class to keep hydrated and satisfied. If you are hungry, it can be extremely difficult to stay focused and also will add to fatigue. If possible try to gear eating choices toward protein and fibre as it is not only good for your digestive system these foods often help one stay focused and energized.

5) Exercise. Not only does taking a break from studying to exercise help you physically, it can help you mentally. Exercising produces neuro-impulses which raise your alertness, as well as endorphins which make you happy. So whether you do jumping-jacks in your dorm or go for a run around Queen’s Park, stay active!

Entering into second semester doesn’t have to be dreadful. If you stick to these 5 guidelines you are sure to have a happy, healthy return to school. 

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.