Campus Personality: Rebecca Vona

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Name: Rebecca Vona

Year: 3rd Year

Program: Majoring in Experimental Linguistics (but trying to get into a Psychology Major), and minoring in Biology

What is the best part of attending university?

I just like the process of learning new things. I, especially, enjoy a lot of the things I’ve learned in my psychology courses. I also like the fact that University allows me to meet like-minded people who share the same study interests as me. 

What’s your favourite thing about attending the UTM campus?

I love the atmosphere, the campus is really pretty and theres a lot of greenery. Also sometimes theres cute deer and squirrels around so that’s always a plus! I also get to meet a lot of new people because I come from out of the area!

What interested you to your program?

I like linguistics; I had no idea what linguistics was when I started university, but after taking my first linguistics course I became interested in it. I really enjoy psychology and biology as well, especially the anatomy portion of biology, which is why I’m minoring in it and thinking about switching to a Psychology program. 

What has been your favourite course so far?

I’m really enjoying the courses I’m taking now; PSY310 Adolescence and Emerging Adulthood is a course I find really interesting, and ANT210- Fantasies, Hoaxes, and Misrepresentations of the Ancient World is a really fun course and the material is really cool. 

Can you name one thing about university that you aren’t a fan of? 

The commute! It takes me a long time to get to school, so morning classes are never fun, neither are the days with bad weather. I also wish we had a little more food options on campus. 

What is one thing you do to de-stress?

To de-stress, I always turn to Netflix. I try to give myself a one episode per couple of hours break, when studying for midterms or writing papers. I also turn to music when I’m feeling really overwhelmed. 

What were you most scared about when starting university? 

I was most scared about walking into large lecture halls or walking in large crowds, which has always kind of made me a bit nervous. In my first year, I’d sometimes skip a class entirely if I was 15 minutes or more late just because I wanted to avoid the agony of walking into the crowded lecture hall in front of people. I’ve gotten a lot more comfortable, however, as the years have passed, and I don’t feel as awkward being amongst a lot of people anymore.

What were you most excited about when starting university? 

I was most excited about meeting new people, because I only knew a couple people when I started here. Honestly, I was just excited about the whole university experience in general – sitting in lectures with a lot of people – it was fascinating and a little scary. I felt like it meant I was becoming a real adult. I’m still excited about meeting new people, but I’d like to think my social skills have improved since then. 

What advice would you give to your first-year self? 

I would tell myself to relax more and reassure myself that everything will be fine. I was really nervous coming into University in first year because I didn’t really have a lot of my high school friends with me. Also, I was really overwhelmed with the workload and midterms in first year, so I got stressed out really easily. 

Fun Facts about Rebecca:

Favourite Colour: Green

Favourite Food: Blueberry Pie

Favourite Sport: Yoga 

Favourite Book: The Perks of Being A Wallflower

Favourite Movie: Pretty in Pink

Favourite Animal: Dogs- I own a Boston Terrier and he’s basically my best friend. 

Jina Aryaan is one of the Co-Editors-in-Chief of Her Campus UToronto. She is a fourth year student pursuing a major in Sociology, and a double minor in French and Latin American Studies at the University of Toronto. She has been working with Her Campus since her first year of University, and she is also highly involved on campus through various other leadership positions. When she's not busy studying, you can catch her running around campus to get to her next class or meeting. When she has some spare time, she's likely busy writing, discussing politics, or spending quality time with friends and family.