Best Places to Study

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.
U of T sits on one of the largest campuses in the world so it’s no wonder that several hundred students get lost on their first day. But when tests and midterms are coming up, every student will need to find the right place to study- and there’s no time to get lost, so here are a few of my favourite places in the city to study!

Of course, there is the famous Robarts Library. With over 10 floors to choose from, there is sure to be enough space for several hundred students. A rumour about Robarts is that the higher the floor, the more intense the level of studying is. So for people that work better with noise, go to the third and fourth floor. Those floors are good for studying while chatting with friends. Higher floors from there on require absolute silence and there are even study rooms for those who need to focus on cramming for that midterm. 

Because Robarts is usually crowded with people, you may want to explore other libraries around campus to find your perfect study area. Try Gerstein Science Information Centre. Although most of the material available is catered towards life science students, there are places for students in all programs to study in. The basement contains some hidden rooms, which offer a great environment to study in. The rooms are spacious, have natural lighting, and are hidden by shelves of books.  For anyone who’s in a study group, make sure to check out Gerstein as your meet up location. There is a large room in the basement where you can concentrate on your studies but still communicate with your friends. Additionally, there is a cafe where you can regain your energy and do your homework at the same time. What more could you want?

For all those Starbucks lovers out there, why not try something new and fresh?  David’s Tea is a great substitute for any coffee and tea lover, they have over 30 types of teas with different health benefits. Don’t be overwhelmed by the wide variety, the employees offer great assistance and recommendations based your tastes.  One cup is all you need- not only will you get your caffeine fix you can work there for hours on end. The environment is comfortable and casual and there usually isn’t a lot of people in the store during the day, so you can be sure that there is a spot for you.

Last but not least, University College offers many, quiet study places. Alike in so many ways to Hogwarts, it has ancient staircases that lead to hidden halls and loads of empty classrooms and study rooms. There is even one room, in University College’s library, where you can close the doors and have an office all to yourself, just like the Room of Requirement.  Since it is one of the largest colleges on the St. George Campus, you can be sure to find an isolated room with no distractions or noises. 

These places are just the start. Go exploring and search for that right place to study!  There are countless areas where you can cram for that French midterm or chat with your peers. Hopefully these places will be of great help to you and good luck finding your perfect study spot!

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.