This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Sometimes the library is just too quiet. Sometimes you don’t want to run into your cute classmate while you study like a bum. Sometimes the word ‘Robarts’ just makes you nauseous. Don’t you worry, I have scavenged the entire off-campus city for little places where you can diligently study and not procrastinate, because no one procrastinates right? Just settle in to these cozy cafes and be on your way to acing those midterms!

Seven West Cafe

If I had to choose my absolute favourite place in the city, let alone café, it would have to be Seven West close to Yonge and Bloor. As a chick with an iPhone, making cute stuff look cuter with Instagram filters is a daily occurrence. However, you will soon realize when you go there, that Valencia, Hefe or X-Pro II is not even necessary. With the cozy candles and sweet, mellow music, the whole place is something out of rom-com movie set.

Best part? It’s open 24/7. 365 days a year. Literally. Got a dreadful all-nighter? Plant yourself there all night and they will be open for you.

Every single server I’ve had is incredibly kind and friendly. A few of them are U of T students themselves, hence the casual “Hang in there, darling” as they fill up your fourth cup of coffee at 3 in the morning. No librarian at Gerstein’s is going to do that for you.

The food is a lot better than having to scarf down that Szechuan Chicken from Chinatown; go for the Pita Pizzas instead. Also, every single dessert on that endless menu (trust me, I’ve tried them all) is heaven on a plate. Apple Crumble Pie has got to be my favourite, not to mention the Dulce De Leche cheesecake.

One thing that may hinder your obsession over this place is the lack of free wifi. But for me, that just means no Facebook or Twitter (or Tumblr… or Instagram… or YouTube… or even Her Campus)! Stop. You know you should be studying. Just go back after reading the article, cool beans?

One Hour

We all had that one friendwho had a massive bean bag chair in their basement which we would always call dibs on but our athletic friend would get to it first, right? Ahem. Hopefully, you do, because if so, you will gasp in disbelief when you walk into this little bubble tea place near Spadina and College like I did. One Hour is a modern, cozy cafe that serves the best bubble tea I have ever had. Most of their seats are bean bag chairs, with low tables, perfect for long hours in which one’s bum bum can otherwise get quite sore. Now, I am no bubble tea connoisseur, but I thoroughly enjoy the mango black tea. Especially, with those small, black, jelly, gummy beans, known as tapioca. (Told you, I’m no expert!)

The staff is super friendly as well, and they are very quick to take your order and serve it, so you don’t waste any time not studying. I’ve noticed a lot of students studying there, so it’s closer to a library than Seven West.  And you’ve probably already noticed, the crepes are amazing.

Just sit tight and pour over those textbooks, no one should bother you here!

So next time you’re dreading the library ambience, head on over to these two Torontonian gems! Plus, a change of scenery is always nice, especially when you feel like you’re losing your mind in an E.J. Pratt cubicle. We’ve all been there! Happy studying, darlings! 

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.