Always & Forever – The Vampire Diaries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Warning: I have written this as best I can without any spoilers or Salvatore pictures, but proceed with caution.

For those of us who have been following the show since its inception, we can agree that they’ve come a long way from the “Dear diary…” openings and we’re all thankful for that. We can recall the days when Katherine was the baddest chick in town, the excitement when the Originals came to town – my personal favourite(s), and that moment when you realized that Delena is totally going to be a thing someday. To this day I have never read the books, and I have never wanted to (Mystic Falls > Fell’s Church).

I don’t know what the heck this is, but get it away from me

Vampire Diaries (the show) started 6 years ago, back when I was still in middle school and Twilight was the only thing even remotely associated with vampire-human love stories. It was, to put it simply, a sappy love story between a vampire and a human, with complications due to other vampires and humans hunting said vampires (with a tad of magic). Then seasons two through six came along and it became so much more, introducing werewolves (meh), 40 different kinds of witches, and a delightfully evil family known as the Originals. It has it all: romance, magic, attractive lads and ladies, and a plotline that changes so fast that it’s nearly impossible to follow. 

What gets me through the week

Now, you all might disagree with me on this, but I hold firm that the Original family is the best part of the entire series. I can’t even stand The Vampire Diaries sometimes because I end up comparing it to The Originals and it just doesn’t hold up. What’s The Originals? It’s the spin-off that beats the original show (pun intended) hands down. It’s like if we took all the  supernatural parts from The Vampire Diaries and added new character dynamics and a strangely attractive family of psychopaths. It’s also the only reason I even know/care who Fall Out Boy is because one of their songs was used in the trailer.

For those of you who have yet to watch The Vampire Diaries, I strongly recommend you give it a chance. It’s so much more than the first season offers up. If you have watched the show, try out the spin-off, because I think it’s even better. And if you love both, then join me in hoping that both shows continue to stick around for a good long while. 

Okay, maybe one Salvatore picture

P.S. Apparently Nina Dobrev went to my middle school, and that’s awesome.

Image Sources

http://mankabros.com/teleblog-with-vidar/vampire_diaries_book_series.jpg

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/ca/df/28/cadf2880ecf7edc74be3eef8…

http://data3.whicdn.com/images/2781204/original.png

Lucian Wang is an Editor with HerCampus UToronto, after starting out as a Writer in his first year. He is currently double majoring in Political Science, along with Biodiversity and Conservation Biology. Apparently you can do that. Along with HerCampus, he is also involved with the University of Toronto Pre-Law Society as its Vice-President - a little more vice than president.  He hopes to pursue law school after he completes his undergraduate degree. He enjoys listening to music (consisting largely of an unhealthy fascination with Taylor Swift), looking damn good in a suit, and spending far too much time staring at his pet turtle. He does not enjoy walking or the beach, so long walks there are out of the question.