This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited By: Tanmaya Ramprasad

It’s fall! And that means its prime harvest season for many fruits and vegetables. Just as tasty as they are healthy, here are five foods that taste amazing in baked goods. 

Wild Blueberries

Wild blueberry season just passed but did you know they are native to Canada and grow naturally in Ontario and many other provinces? A mini version of blueberries, wild blueberries are sweeter and are fiber-rich, and full of antioxidants that can reduce oxidative damage and prevent aging and cancer. If pie is not for you, blueberries make a great compote that pairs well with waffles, pancakes, and pretty much any breakfast food! Blueberries also pair nicely with lemon flavour and go well in muffins and scones. 

Squash 

Squash season is normally the end of summer and fall but this can be misleading because there is winter and summer squash. Currently, fall and the end of summer is winter squash season. Winter squash have hard exteriors and can be stored for a long time. 

Long before human cultivation, pumpkins were small, bitter, tough, and toxic. Until farmers were able to domesticate them, only large mammals that could endure the toxins without negative side effects were able to consume squash. Recently, the largest reported pumpkin in North America was over 2000 lbs. 

Squash also has great health benefits. Pumpkin seeds also known as pepita seeds are good sources of magnesium, iron, and zinc. Squash also has beta carotene which is converted to Vitamin A in the body. 

By definition, squash refers to the Cucurbita genus. This includes acorn squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, zucchini, and more. However, the Cucurbitaceae family includes many other fruits like cucumber and watermelon. 

Fortunately, squash can taste like whatever you make it taste like. The most popular being pumpkin spice flavour which is typically a mix of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, and cloves. While most people would claim a love for pumpkin pie, in my opinion, the best form of pumpkin is pumpkin loaf. Packed with added sugar and fat, it is nearly impossible to go wrong and is much easier to make than pie crust. 

Cranberries

If squash does not give you thanksgiving vibes then cranberries ought to. Also with antioxidative properties, anthocyanins give cranberries their colour. A recent study published by the Journal of Applied Microbiology has shown that lettuce sprayed with cranberries and citrus extracts require less radiation to reduce their microbial properties (Gobeil A, ShankerS, Lacroix M. Radiosensitivity Increase in FCV-F9 Virus Using Combined Treatment With Natural Antimicrobial and ɣ-Irradiation. J Appl Microbiol. 2020 ePub ahead of print. DOI: 10.1111/jam.14596) which suggests that cranberry juice may have antiviral effects. Most commonly available and in juice and dried form, cranberries can be eaten whole. Like blueberries, they are often paired with citrus and are a great combination in muffins and scones. 

Apples

Apples are an iconic fall fruit. With over one hundred varieties, you could eat an apple a day and never eat the same one for over a year. Apple skin is full of fiber, and the crunchy flesh is sweet, firm, and rich in vitamin C. Depending on the type of apple, the taste can vary greatly, and while they may be a generic fruit they make for a whole range of baking possibilities. Apple pie like any pie can come in many forms such as deep dish, slab pie, streusel, and fruit crisp, but unlike other fruits, apple pie is commonly paired with cheddar. That’s right cheese and apple pie is commonly eaten in some states and in areas like New England. That being said, my favorite way to eat apples is apple cake! Pie on the top and sour cream coffee cake on the bottom, all you need is a cookie to complete my baked goods buffet. 

Beets

Last but definitely not least, beet season is also currently in the fall. Although it is not a fruit, beets share a common ground with the other fruits I wrote about, they are great in baking! Packed with vitamin C, potassium, and many other nutrients, beets, and their leafy greens are easy to cook and completely edible. If you are lucky, you may be able to get beet greens for free from someone who doesn’t want them. Although beets can be great in chocolate cupcakes, beets are better known for their natural red food dye properties. This can be great if you are trying to avoid synthetic food dyes such as Red no. 40 which is petroleum-based and although approved by the FDA has been banned by other countries such as the United Kingdom.

Da Beattie

U Toronto '22

Da is double majoring in immunology and biomedical toxicology. When she's not watching TV, she loves to bake, read and write.