This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Sophia Savva

Finals season is finally here, so I decided to give you all a list of my favourite libraries at U of T. I’m a bit obsessed with creating an Instagram-worthy study space, so it’s always important for me to scout out the most aesthetic study spots on campus. After hopping around different libraries, I’ve ranked the four most beautiful libraries to study at on campus. 

#4: E.J. Pratt

This one seems a little out of place when you compare it to the other libraries on the list. It’s really modern– which is usually not my cup of tea. However, the reason why I still put it on the list is because of a particular study spot here that I LOVE. If you go to the second floor, there’s a long wall that is completely glass. The long desk faces the glass so you can look outside. It has amazing views of Victoria College, the trees and other greenery. However, I found that all the seats in this area are taken, so try to get there early in the morning!

#3: Graham Library 

This library was my go-to place during the December final exams. That’s because it has rooms that have super comfy armchairs and fireplaces right beside them. It gives off a cozy and homey feel. If you go to the second or third floor and walk to the end of the hall, there are two big wooden double doors. Behind these doors, you’ll find the reading rooms. These rooms have large windows wall-to-wall and both sofas and desks and chairs. Usually, groups of friends study here though, so people won’t disturb you if they see that it’s already occupied. This library also has study rooms, which you can book when you arrive, or ahead of time. The study rooms also boast amazing views of Trinity College.

#2: Emmanuel College Library 

This one totally gives off Hogwarts vibes. Just as you walk into Emmanuel College, it feels like you’re walking into a mansion. With black and white tiled floors, chandeliers, and portrait paintings hanging on the walls, it doesn’t get any better than this. 

#1: Caven Library (Knox College) 

Almost as beautiful as Emmanuel College’s library, the only reason why I put this as #1 is that it’s bright and has a ton of natural light. I find Emmanuel College a little dim, but since Caven is facing the South, there’s always plenty of sunlight shining in the gothic windows. Another bonus is that right when you walk out of the library, in the same building, there’s a beautiful chapel, corridor, and garden. In the outdoor corridor, they put tables and chairs in the summer, so it’s the perfect place to sit, study, and enjoy the outdoors. 

Victoria Shi

U Toronto '22

Victoria is a first-year humanities student at the University of Toronto. She loves exploring different cultures through travel, is an avid photographer, and loves to engage in philanthropy.