We Will Always Love You: Remembering Whitney Houston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

I’ve been taking voice lessons since the fifth grade. That’s a good eight years of learning how to control my diaphragm and doing awkward pseudo-squats to belt out the hardest notes. I had to work extra hard because there was a song I was determined to learn, no matter how inappropriate it was for my little ten-year-old self. —none other than Whitney Houston’s “One Moment in Time”.

Ever since then, Whitney Houston has been a bit of an icon for me. I’ve used that song for every audition, and hearing it always makes me a little nostalgic for the times when I thought I was a fabulous pop diva (I’m still pretty sure that I am, but who’s asking?).

I won’t lie, my connection and dedication to Whitney Houston does not go much further than that. Of course, when I learned of her passing last week, there was the compulsion to immediately change my Facebook status and play her greatest hits on repeat. I restrained myself, but let’s be honest: this fabulous woman deserves recognition.

She was young and had so much talent. To have lost her just before the Grammy’s was truly heartbreaking. Her memory was honored in the best way possible that night; I know everyone I watched the show with was brought to tears by Jennifer Hudson’s performance.

That is not to say that the only way to remember her is to lament her passing. Let’s remember all the other things she gave us. From Maya Rudolph’s hysterical Saturday Night Live impersonation of Whitney (“Bobbaaaay!”) to “I Wanna Dance With Somebody,” we’ve had so much laughter, joy and many post-midterm dance parties thanks to Whitney, and we’re lucky to have had that. Best wishes to her friends and family, and we will always love Whitney Houston.

To remember Whitney Houston, visit remembering.whitneyhouston.com.

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.