This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

As finals season rears its ugly head, it’s pretty difficult to focus on eating healthy when you have exam after exam to study for. But have you ever thought about eating foods that could enhance your memory retention and help you perform well on your exams? Here are some delicious “brain foods” that will help you memorize that tricky math formula or remember how to conjugate those irregular verbs!

Cinnamon
This spice has been found to boost cognitive function and memory. Ever get headaches? Cinnamon is a natural way to reduce and manage migraine pain. It also helps manage cramps (enough said).  Need a recipe? Check this one out for apple cinnamon pancakes! Try adding cinnamon on top of your bagel with a little butter, mined into your oatmeal, or even in your morning coffee.

Blueberries
Antioxidants, antioxidants, antioxidants. I can’t say it enough. Blueberries, chock full of great stuff like vitamins A and C, fiber, and manganese, have the highest antioxidant capacity of any fresh fruit. What does this mean for us, ladies? It means a boost in immunity from colds, fevers, and other unwelcome bacterial invasions. At this point in the year, with winter settling in and finals fast approaching, what could be more important? Try eating blueberries in your cereal or yogurt, with a fruit salad, with a handful of granola, or even in a pie – perfect for the holiday season!

Dark Chocolate
Yes, that says chocolate! Dark chocolate can help lower your blood pressure and increase neural blood flow. It lessens cravings for salty, sweet, and fatty foods, reduces stress, and allows for delicious indulgence at the same time. To sum it up, dark chocolate is good for your brain, your heart, and most importantly, your happiness! Try dark chocolate with almonds, berries (dark chocolate covered blueberries pack a double punch!), pretzels and even drizzled over popcorn!

Fish
Whether you’re enjoying a tuna salad or some baked salmon, the omega-3 fatty acids found in these sea creatures makes any type of fish an excellent source of brain food. Fatty acids have been proven to enhance communication between brain cells, which leads to greater memory retention.

Eggs
The yolk of eggs is seriously rich in choline. Choline is an amino acid that allows the brain to release a neurotransmitter that enhances memory and learning abilities. Needless to say, it’s not unusual for college students to skip breakfast, but your mom was right when she told you breakfast was the most important meal of the day. Starting off with a healthy breakfast will allow your brain to work efficiently throughout the day.

Iron-Rich Foods
If you’re finding it difficult to channel your concentration, try bulking up on iron-rich foods such as red meats, liver, and leafy greens. Iron helps the brain receive the oxygen it needs in order to function normally and efficiently, which will help you focus during those long-haul study sessions.

Green Tea
Although the effects are short-lived and best consumed in moderate amounts, freshly brewed green tea actually helps to boost mental performance and improve attention. But beware, too much caffeine can have negative side effects. In small doses, this beverage can increase your alertness as you hit the books.

Water
With an abundance of beverage choices available in the dining hall, it is easy to overlook water and go for the Cherry Coke or orange soda. Remember that three-quarters of the brain is water, so it’s essential to get in those eight glasses a day. Staying hydrated is often taken for granted, but not drinking enough water can actually impede your memory retention. 

Don’t let finals keep you from staying healthy and eating right. Exercise is also a great way to keep your noggin refreshed and rejuvenated. Good luck on finals everyone!

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn