Stop the Violence, No More Silence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

We all know that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, but it’s also Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Eclipsed by the fight for the cure, domestic violence awareness is often forgotten. It goes without saying that domestic violence must be stopped. One of the best things anyone can do to help is even acknowledge the fact that it happens at all.

Domestic violence can happen to anyone of any race, age, sexual orientation, religion or gender, and it affects people of all socioeconomic backgrounds and education levels. However, according to the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence, about 85% of domestic violence victims are women. One in every four women will experience domestic violence in their lifetime. These statistics are mind boggling and disheartening, but they are just one more reason that domestic violence needs to be recognized as a real issue and addressed by society as a whole.

Domestic violence is often very difficult to stop because it takes on so many different forms. Many victims don’t notice signs that their partner is abusive simply because they don’t understand that abuse is not merely physical. Domestic abuse can be physical, yes, but it can also be verbal, sexual, psychological, emotional and financial. It’s any pattern of behavior in any relationship that is used to gain or maintain power and control over a partner. It can be very scary to be involved with someone that is abusive in any of these ways and feel that there is no way out. One of the main goals of spreading awareness of domestic violence is to let these victims know that other people recognize what they’re experiencing. In part, this initiative works to assure victims that they have a reliable support system within their communities.

Another part of Domestic Violence Awareness Month is to educate young women on indicators of an abusive relationship. This is to prevent the abuse from happening so that they don’t ever have to be victims. A few signs that a partner may be abusive are if he or she:

• Intimidates you
  • Threatens you (even idly)
  • Makes all of the decisions in the relationship
  • Tries to control what you say/eat/wear/watch/do
  • Shoves, slaps, hits, etc. (even what you might consider “lightly”)

No matter how innocent some of these behaviors may seem, they can often lead to much more dangerous and damaging behaviors that can affect one’s entire life. There are many more behaviors that may be indicative of abuse. It’s very important that young women are educated about those behaviors and know how to get help so that they can make healthy decisions about their own relationships.

There are many ways to get involved with and help support those taking part in Domestic Violence Awareness Month. The simplest way is to speak up by refusing to stay silent about domestic violence like so many victims are forced to do. If you are inspired to do more for the cause, check out the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence website and find out ways to fight back in your area. Take action, spread the word, break the silence and help stop the violence.