A New Way to Ace Your History Exam: Watch a Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Given the choice between studying and watching a movie, which would you do? Movie, obviously! Anyone who says otherwise is trying to sell you something, most likely a textbook.

The film industry has lately been having a love affair with Biopics (because isn’t that the easiest way to an Oscar nomination?). A biopic is an often dramatized, but historically accurate film depiction of someone’s life. Generally, these films focus on the most formative years of the subject’s experiences in a shorter time period. Not only are these movies very entertaining, they actually portray the most important events in the lives of key historical figures that we learn about in classes. Okay, maybe you can’t replace studying for that CIS final with watching a movie about Alan Turing (which you might be tempted to when The Imitation Game comes out next year), but these films are both really enjoyable and can actually help you understand your class material! Here are some to start:

Tom & Viv (1994)
Learn about 20th century literary culture and the major influences of poetry in that period by experiencing the lifestyle of this iconic poet.

For all of you literary folks, this is a wonderful drama about the marriage of T.S. Eliot and Vivienne Haigh-Wood Eliot. It actually is an exploration of mental illness as well, documenting the toll that Viv’s various undiagnosed mental illnesses (including heavy menstrual disorders and anxiety) took on their marriage.

Once you get past the fact that T.S. Eliot is actually Norman Osbourne from Tobey McGuire’s Spiderman (AKA—spoiler alert—the Green Goblin), the performances of both leads shine as nuanced and actually quite heartbreaking. They show how these years were formative for Eliot’s poetry.

If my review isn’t enough to convince you that the events in this film are important, take Eliot’s sister-in-law’s account: “Vivienne ruined Tom as a man, but she made him as a poet.”

Hawking (2004)
Understand the space-time singularity theory of Physics and how it relates to the Big Bang as discovered by a young Stephen Hawking at the University of Cambridge.

Those of you who are more scientifically inclined will enjoy this TV movie starring Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve, and other familiar faces from the ten or so actors that the U.K. seems to have. This movie is a simultaneously heartbreaking and uplifting depiction of Stephen Hawking’s academic and personal lives and how they collide when he encounters the problem of the Big Bang (and make sure you pay attention to the “Bang!” scene. It will bring tears, I promise you).

Historically accurate, it depicts many major players of physics, including Roger Penrose. I actually watched the movie right before my Singularity exam in Physics, and boy, was it helpful to remember Hawking’s slurred speech as he explains the concept. Physics 150 students, I’m pretty sure that exam comes around October, so I’d get on this movie if I were you (hint hint).       

Lincoln (2009)
Who, what, when, and where were the most important developments that led up to the Emancipation Proclamation? By watching this movie, you can see the whole grueling and emotional process and even test yourself to see if you recognize important people.

American history, wha-whaaat? Daniel Day-Lewis literally stepped into the role, not breaking character for three whole months while filming this movie—so much so that even Director Steven Spielberg started to call him “Mr. President” or “President Lincoln.” It was worth it. From his oration to his mannerisms, to even his gangly walk, Day-Lewis has transformed completely into Honest Abe.

But not only that, the film features what seems like every single political figure that bore even the slightest significance in getting the Emancipation Proclamation passed. You’ll see familiar actors playing characters whose names will be wonderfully familiar to you, and you’ll understand their true role. And you’ll enjoy it, because no one has an APUSH exam looming over their head anymore! It’s both moving and comical, including a tummy-tickling sequence in which Ricky Gervais almost gets shot.

Besides, as magnificent as Denzel Washington is, how many times are you really going to watch Glory?

Gandhi (1982)
Experience the emancipation of India from the British government in this dramatic but true-to-life portrayal of all of the major decisions, defeats, and victories leading up to Indian freedom.

Fun fact: Ben Kingsley is actually of Indian descent. Who knew?

Coming in at just under 200 minutes, this movie will make you weep. It reveals, in occasionally unnecessary detail, the plight of Indian nationalists under the British as they began the campaign of civil disobedience and rallied for Indian Independence. Kingsley’s performance evokes the peace and quiet common to the role, but also an inherent power that was central to the identity of the movement. You also get to see the academic, legal mind belied by the simple lifestyle.

In the slaughter sequences of this film, more extras appeared than in any other historical epic. But even more than that, the film takes its sweet time to explore the origins of the Hindu-Muslim conflict and the way that it permeated Indian politics even at the time of independence.

Behind the Candelabra (2013)
Learn about the successes, struggles, and philosophies that Liberace used to influence his music, as well as about the context of his major contemporaries.

Anyone who watched the Emmys last weekend knows that this film is literally award-winning. Interestingly, it takes the perspective of the last years of Liberace’s life, when his career was already formed, and shows how he takes a young, shaggy, blonde Matt Damon under his wing.

They eventually become lovers, but I’ve heard that what’s most poignant is Michael Douglas’ performance when the legend is on his deathbed, and reveals his true vulnerability in spite of the exuberance and excess of his lifestyle.

So those of you in History of Music or 1000 Years of Musical Listening, enjoy! Maybe the soundtrack will help with your listening quizzes!

Midterms are coming up, so go buy some popcorn from CVS, turn the lights off and set up your computer! Who needs to study the good old-fashioned way?

Image credits:
http://betanews.com/2013/04/10/cyberlink-powerdvd-13-ultra-review/
http://bokunosekai.wordpress.com/2011/12/05/hawking-2004-benedict-cumberbatch/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443272/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0083987/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1291580/