Navigating Food Allergies and Intolerances at College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Going to college is a difficult adjustment for anybody. You have to worry about making friends, finding your classes, and living on your own for the very first time. But imagine that you had to also worry about getting sick at every meal.

This is the experience that students with food allergies and intolerances have every single day. I have a life-threatening food allergy to shellfish, and several of my friends have their own medical dietary restrictions. So, for me and my friends, eating at dining halls can be a matter of life or death. We constantly have to be aware of our surroundings, check ingredients, and sometimes even miss events because there’s nothing for us to eat.

While obviously these restrictions make our college lives a little more difficult, they don’t stop us. We always find a way to enjoy ourselves while keeping everyone safe. Below, I outline my best advice for navigating dietary limitations in college based on my experiences during my first semester.

Find options that you enjoy.

No matter your allergy or intolerance, most dining halls have something for everyone. So, scoping out the menus and finding the foods you genuinely like to eat can make your experience a lot easier as you have options to fall back on in case you need them. I know that some dining halls at Penn have an allergy-friendly station called “SimplyOasis,” which offers food without the eight major allergens. You just have to find the foods that work best for you!

Keep a stash of safe snacks.

There may be times where you’re going to a restaurant where there is absolutely nothing safe for you to eat. Unfortunately, this is an unavoidable reality. So, make sure you keep a stash of allergy-friendly snacks in your dorm room or in your backpack in case you run into a sticky situation. For example, one of my friends who is allergic to gluten and dairy loves the cookies at Hillel, so whenever we go there to eat, she always makes sure to stock up.

Tell your new friends about your restrictions…Really.

I know it may feel awkward to talk about your allergies or intolerances with people you’ve just met. But for your safety, it’s vital that the people around you know how to support you. That way, they can accommodate your needs and keep you out of unsafe situations. Just last week, I had a minor allergic reaction that could’ve been really dangerous. Luckily, I was with my friends who walked me back to my dorm and got me the medicine I needed. I felt comfortable knowing that for worse situations, my friends know how to use an EpiPen and can give it to me if they need to. It may seem trivial, but educating your friends could potentially save your life someday.

When in doubt, do without.

At college, you don’t have your parents monitoring your eating habits, and you may feel tempted to take risks because no one is there to tell you otherwise. DON’T DO IT! Carelessness can lead to dangerous consequences, so if anything, college is the time to become more hyper-vigilant. Always remember to check labels, ask the staff if you are concerned, and if worst comes to worst, wait to eat until you can get food that you know is safe. You’re responsible for your own safety now, so continue to practice those habits even when no one is there to watch you. 

Carry your medicine EVERYWHERE!

At dinner, class, and even frat parties, I always make sure to have my EpiPen on me. You never know when an emergency situation can arise because for people like me, even sharing a cup with someone who ate an allergen is enough to constitute a trip to the ER. The responsibility now falls on you to make sure you have the medicine you need to stay safe and healthy.

While students with these restrictions obviously don’t want to feel defined by their limitations, safety is of the utmost importance when living on your own for the first time. While you may need to be more careful than most about what you eat, there is no reason that food allergies or intolerances should hold you back from having the college experience. Navigating food restrictions on your own is difficult, but if you take responsibility for your health and maintain a positive attitude despite your limitations, there’s nothing you can’t do!

Ally Kalishman is a freshman in the College of Arts and Sciences with a prospective major in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics.