The Most Stylish Week On Campus: The Where and What of Penn Fashion Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Penn Fashion Week. Heard of it? Probably. Next week (March 26 – 30) is the sixth anniversary of Penn’s celebration of fashion, and it’s still the only one of its kind in the Ivy League. The combined effort of Dzine2Show, Wharton Retail Club, and Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity, Fashion Week aims to “cultivate the next generation of leaders in fashion and retail.” So where should you be to catch all the fabulous action?

Monday, March 26th

4:30-6:00 PM Featured Speaker, Joshua Schulman, JMHH F95

7:00-9:00 PM Opening Night, Hall of Flags

Joshua Schulman is the exiting CEO of Jimmy Choo, and under his leadership, the brand expanded from a niche women’s shoemaker to a global luxury lifestyle accessory brand. He has many other impressive credentials, and it should be incredibly fascinating to hear him speak about his time in the industry. Later that night, in Houston’s Hall of Flags, the opening night celebration will be a “Fashion Bazaar” with Rent the Runway, where you can get hair and makeup touchups, try on amazing RTR dresses and accessories, take pictures in professional photobooths, eat sushi from Pod, and have the chance to win two tickets to Alice + Olivia at New York Fashion Week – you definitely don’t want to miss out! 

Tuesday, March 27th

6:30-7:30 PM Keynote Speaker, John Idol, JMHH G06

Come and listen to John Idol, the Chairman and CEO of Michael Kors (gasp!) give this year’s keynote lecture on “The Road to the Billion Dollar IPO”.  This event is sure to be packed, so make sure you get there early.  Not only will you get preferred seating, but the first 200 students to arrive get a FREE Michael Kors gift bag! What could be better?

Wednesday, March 28th

7:00-9:00 PM Fashion Fete, MBA Pub

This year’s Fashion Fete is a Stylish Night Out with Online Retail Professionals (hello, networking!). The impressive group of panelists includes representatives from Gilt, Macy’s Ralph Lauren, and JOOR! Not to mention a cool cocktail atmosphere and great location. This event is unmatched in its coolness.

Thursday, March 29th

6:00-7:00 PM Fashion Lecture, Parsons Dean of Fashion Simon Collins, JMHH 245

Simon Collins, the Dean of Fashion at Parsons The New School for Design (Project Runway fans?) will be giving a lecture on his career (and maybe yours!) in Fashion.  He’ll be lecturing on the “Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Fashion”. If the title isn’t enough to make you want to go, I don’t know what is. He’ll be talking about finding your way in the fashion world even though your education may not directly send you there. Since Penn doesn’t have a fashion major, this is valuable to all of us who need a little reassurance that we’ll be able to get our feet wet somewhere. Worth checking out, for sure!

Friday, March 30th

4:30-6:00 PM Publishing Panel, JMHH 240

9:00 PM Fashion Show: Masquerade, Inn at Penn Ballroom

The publishing panel this year will be discussing the effects of the blogging world and the internet famous fashionistas on the role of the magazine editor and the fashion world at large. Panelists include Valerie Steele, curator at the Fashion Institute of Technology museum (if you haven’t been, it’s worth a day trip), Leah Chernikoff, Executive Editor of Fashionista.com, Eva Chen, Beauty and Health director for Teen Vogue, and John Jannuzzi, Style Collective Editor at Lucky Magazine. The panel will open up to Q&A at the end of their discussion, so don’t miss the chance to ask these incredible people any questions you may have.

Finally, Dzine2Show presents the annual Spring Fashion Show. This year’s theme is Masquerade, and as always, the show will feature student models, student-made apparel (it’s sick!), and clothes from local Philadelphia boutiques.           

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.