How to Pack for Your Summer Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Research the climate. It’s important that you pack appropriately for the weather where you will be staying. Maybe it rains frequently during the summer months, and you may need to bring your rain boots. If it tends to get pretty chilly at night, it would be wise to pack some sweaters.

Familiarize yourself with the culture. This might sound a little odd, but in some countries, it is not a cultural norm for women to wear shorts or even jeans. Although most people will probably realize that you are a visitor, it’s important to be respectful of the local culture.

Act like a local. Going off the previous point, while studying abroad, you don’t want to stand out as a tourist or nonnative. Try to immerse yourself in the culture and leave behind the North Face and other traditional American staples, like sweatpants. You will feel more relaxed and in tune when you don’t stand out so much, and it will only enrich your experience.

Find out luggage limits. Most airlines have a limit to the number of checked bags you are allowed to have and also a maximum weight limit. Unless you’re willing to dish out some extra cash for these accommodations, it’s important that you keep these limits in mind and pack wisely.

Make checklists. It’s easy to forget what you’ve packed, what needs to be packed and what you haven’t even bought from the store yet. Make checklists broken into categories of toiletries, party clothes, daytime wear, etc. to help you cover all the bases.

Leave room for souvenirs. After spending a considerable amount of time abroad, you’re going to want to bring back some memorabilia. It is very likely that you will be returning with more than you left with, so pack accordingly.

Bring a backpack. Besides using it for class on the weekdays, a backpack can come in handy for weekend outdoor excursions or just playing tourist.

Don’t forget a camera. Studying abroad will provide you with countless once-in-a-lifetime opportunities and experiences. Take plenty of photos to reminisce and capture those beautiful moments!