How to Makeover Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Whether you are a first semester freshman or a seasoned senior, being away from home is sometimes a tough adjustment. Where you live makes all the difference, so we’re going to explore how to turn that dorm into your home away from home.

1. Covering those walls

I’m not just talking your average posters here. There are all sorts of ways to brighten up your wall space. If you’re a gal that loves taking pictures, put them up! Walking into a room covered with your best memories of friends and family is a wonderful way to make your dorm feel like home. Put up whiteboards or mirrors that you can write inspirational messages, favorite quotes and even silly sayings on. If you are a bit more hands-on, try intricate but affordable wall decals like the one shown here.

2. Adding some color
It doesn’t matter if it’s your school colors or your favorite shade of yellow, color brings life to a washed out room. Keep this in mind when choosing your bedspread and pillowcases. You can even coordinate these colors with the basic utilities you buy such as lamps, organizational units and lounge chairs.

3. Getting the lighting right
Dorm lighting is horrible. The fluorescents are harsh, and the general lack of natural lighting is uninspiring. Remember, ladies, we aren’t paying the electricity bill! Don’t be afraid to take advantage of fun lighting options like rope, string or even your favorite Christmas lights!

4. Warming the floor
Rugs are simple yet often effective in adding that extra homey touch. A rug that matches the decor of the rest of the room helps reinforce whatever theme you choose. It’s the perfect, relatively inexpensive way to decorate a drab slab of ugly tile or pockmarked wood.

5. Perfuming your space
What smell reminds you of home? The wafting aroma of freshly baked cookies? The way the autumn air ripens as the seasons change and the leaves begin to fall? Thanks to the abundant variety of scented candles and aerosols, you can pick up whatever smell conjures those warm and fuzzy feelings at your local convenience store and bring them into your dorm room. Stench of mildew, be gone!