This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

As I study for my first college finals, I can’t help but feel growing anticipation for the end of the semester. While I certainly approach every day at college with gratitude, I can’t deny that my holiday season looks different this year. After all, my cozy little dorm room only has the space for so many holiday decorations! 

However, I’d like to ground finals week with gratitude for my past, present, and future holiday experiences. Here are some of my favorite traditions, all based on my favorite holiday memories. 

Decorating the Christmas Tree

Because I’ve been in Philadelphia, I didn’t help my family choose our Christmas tree this year. However, I’ve been sent photos of it with the lights on, and I’m so excited to put the final ornaments on it when I go home! 

Over the years, my family has acquired a collection of ornaments with special meanings to us, from memories of travel to ornaments my brother and I painted in preschool. I always become nostalgic when we pop our favorite Christmas CDs in the stereo, dance around the living room, bring up the ornament boxes from the basement, and unpack past family memories. I love how each ornament has a special meaning and how it serves as a visual reminder of our past experiences. 

Gingerbread House–Making

Oftentimes, my mom returns back from a shopping trip with a gingerbread house kit for my younger brother and me to share. He and I normally spend an evening together laughing, assembling, and decorating the gingerbread house. It’s a simple activity, but one we normally share, and what’s a better way to be creative than assembling colorful gumdrops in the perfect decorative spots? 

Christmas Movies and Shows!

To me, it’s not the holiday season without curling up on the couch with a blanket and a mug of hot chocolate. As I’ve grown up, I’ve often missed the joys of being a young child at Christmastime. However, there are certain movies I watch each year without fail in order to rejuvenate the holiday spirit. Some of my annual must–watch movies include Home Alone, Elf, Rudolph the Red–Nose Reindeer, Frosty the Snowman, and Love Actually

Secret Santa

From eighth grade onward, my friends from home and I have had an annual Secret Santa gift exchange and holiday party. Gathering at someone’s house for the exchange was always an experience we looked forward to sharing together to rein in the holiday season. This year, some of my friends at Penn and I are recreating this Secret Sanda tradition! 

Seeing Outdoor Lights

Every holiday season, my family takes at least one designated drive through town together to see all of the lights at night. We play our favorite Christmas tunes in the car as we drive by houses and various decorated landmarks throughout our town. We love scouting out the houses with the most elaborate light displays and seeing the various neighborhoods lit up in all their cheerful holiday glory! 

Since I don’t head home until a few days before Christmas this year, I’m really looking forward to my time at home when I’ll join my family in the holiday spirit. I’ll always appreciate holiday time with my family and friends no matter how old I get; I’ll always seek to find joy in the small moments that make the chilly days brighter.

Wishing you and yours a healthy, restful, and happy holiday season!

Hadley is a first-year student in the College of Arts and Sciences. Though undecided, she is currently interested in economics, mathematics, and psychology. In addition, she loves tennis, singing, skiing, and hanging out with her dog, Titan.