Handbag Must-Haves

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Like many girls, I am purse enthusiast. While my favorite designers include Hermés, Kate Spade and Marc Jacobs, it’s not always the brand that matters; what counts is the stuff inside your bag! It’s hard to truly know what needs to be in your purse at all times. Some girls, channeling their inner grandma, over-do it with tissues and old receipts spilling out of their bags. Others aren’t as well prepared and find themselves asking the girl in the neighboring stall if she has a spare tampon. From my years spent glancing in store windows to fix my wind-blown hair and scrubbing spaghetti stains from lunch out of my shirt, I’ve finally figured out the perfect combination of necessities to always keep within arm’s reach.

Gum (or mints): in case you run into that cutie you’ve had your eye on.

Oil absorbing sheets: blot away the sweat and oils of the day. The best brand I’ve found is Clean & Clear Portable Oil Absorbing Sheets.

Tissues: for almost anything, from blotting your underarms after sprinting to class to spitting out your gum to drying your tears after a sappy chick flick.

Compact mirror/foundation: to touch up your makeup on the go or to check out your hairdo.

Sunglasses: to protect those gorgeous eyes of yours from the blinding sun (or to hide the dark circles under your eyes from staying up so late last night).

Baby powder: a surprising quick fix to absorb the oil in your hair. I sprinkle a little on my hands, run my fingers through my hair, put my head upside down and use my hands to dust the powder out. My hair stays oil-free for the rest of the day!

Tampons: self-explanatory.

Chapstick: to keep your lips soft and kissable at all times, especially in cold weather.

PennCard/keys: to avoid being that girl who has to beg a security guard to let her inside.

Advil: in case you get a headache after braving Math 104.

Pens: because you always need one when you don’t have one.

Tide-To-Go: to avoid broadcasting your guilty-pleasure-ice-cream-scoop to all of Locust Walk via a giant stain on your collar.

Mini lint roller: for when your cute black mini skirt or those new black leggings just don’t get along with your sweater.

Band-Aids: for those ‘oops’ moments like blisters from uncomfortable heels, forgetting socks with rain boots, tripping and falling on your knees or a frustrating paper cut.

Hand sanitizer/Wet Ones: so you don’t become another victim of flu season.

To avoid purse clutter, store similar items together in separate compartments!