Faith in America’s Future at the 56th Presidential Inauguration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The harsh winds and cold temperatures have never stopped people before, and this year was no different as the crowds made their way to witness President Barack Obama take his second oath of office at the Capitol Hill in Washington D.C. last Monday.

Some groups, like the Penn Democrats, began their trek to the nation’s capitol several hours before sunrise in order to beat the masses. Around 10 AM, the National Mall filled up quickly with supporters, onlookers and proud constituents who support Obama.

The theme for this year’s inauguration was “Faith in America’s Future”. Obama’s inaugural speech was tinged with a sense of urgency reminiscent of the civil rights speech given years ago by Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, who was also being remembered on that special day. Obama’s deliberate references to Elizabeth Cady Stanton and the Seneca Falls meeting stressed the need for equality, both in the payroll for women and in rights for same-sex couples. He shared his hopes for the development of sustainable energy and a desire for sound global alliances.

Following Beyoncé’s performance of the national anthem, lines formed towards Pennsylvania Avenue as people tried to catch a glimpse of Obama and his wife, Michelle, as they made their way down the street in the inaugural parade. The crowds cheered as the President and his wife waved and smiled.

As Obama embarks on his second term in office, he is faced with several foreboding issues. In light of recent tragedies, one of the issues at the forefront of discussion is gun control.  Sustainable energy, social reform and the never-ending battle over the nation’s deficit also remain prominent issues.

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn