Campus Celebrity: Take Back the Night Organizer Sarah Gutman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Many people want to make a difference in the world at some point during their lives, but figuring out just how to do that can be really difficult. College Junior Sarah Gutman found her role through Take Back the Night. Along with thousands of others all over the globe, this Classics and Political Science double major is taking a stand against domestic and sexual violence. As a member of the TBTN Outreach Committee, you may have gotten an email from her already with information about the upcoming march on April 4th because, as anyone working for a cause knows, awareness is important. Her Campus UPenn caught up with this gracious and dedicated junior to talk about raising awareness and her role in Penn’s Take Back the Night.

What is TBTN?
Take Back the Night is an international march and rally intended to protest domestic and sexual violence. At Penn, we have a rally with speakers, a march around campus and finally a candlelight vigil and survivor speak out. This year’s TBTN will be held Wednesday, April 4th, on College Green.

How did you get involved?
I saw the event my freshman year but couldn’t go due to scheduling conflicts. I knew that I wanted to be involved though so the next year I signed up to help organize the event. It was such an incredible experience that I’m back again this year and I’m already thinking ahead for next year’s TBTN!

What is your role in TBTN?
I am on the outreach committee (so if you’ve been getting a ton of emails from me, sorry but its my job) for TBTN. My committee is in charge of reaching out to organizations across campus to publicize the event and garner support. We also are in charge of printing flyers and statistics to advertise the event, making t-shirts and banners, etc.

Why is TBTN important to you?
TBTN is important to me because in general, this is an issue that is not going away any time soon and needs to be addressed. On a more personal note, I am involved because some people that I care a lot about have been affected by this type of violence.

In your opinion how does gender based violence affect Penn students and people in the surrounding Philly area?
We all know the statistic 1 in 4 but I think that many people forget what that means. Look around your classes, your halls. See just how many people (many of whom you probably know) that statistic says have been affected. I guarantee that every person on this campus knows at least one person who has been a victim of domestic or sexual violence, even if they think they don’t.

How did you choose Leslie Morgan Steiner to be the keynote speaker?
Leslie Morgan Steiner is a Penn alumna as well as a survivor of domestic abuse. She was a Harvard graduate, worked for Seventeen Magazine and married the guy that she thought was the love of her life until he almost killed her. We tend to think that this sort of stuff won’t or can’t happen to us but it does. The connection between her and the Penn community is strong and it makes her a very relatable and inspiring person to have come speak to us. Her story is one of courage and perseverance and has a happy ending when so many similar stories do not.

Who do you think benefits most from TBTN?
I think TBTN really benefits the whole Penn community. The survivor who now knows she or he is not alone. The individual who is currently in an abusive relationship and will hopefully find the strength to leave their relationship or talk to someone about it. Those with a friend in this situation will learn how to be a better advocate and what they can do to help. Those who do not know about the subject or think they do not know anyone affected by it will see just how pervasive an issue it is. All those who stay to hear the speak out will benefit from witnessing the strength of the speakers in overcoming their abuse and having the courage to tell their story to the rest of us.

What are the world-wide effects of these speak outs?
Speak outs like TBTN raise awareness and help build a community of people devoted to combating this sort of violence.

Why is it important to have them on college campuses?
I cannot overemphasize the importance of raising awareness for these types of violence. We tend to think of college as this safe environment, away from the control of our parents but not yet out in the real world. We think nothing can touch us or anyone we know. It’s important to remember that violence is pervasive and doesn’t just disappear for four years.

Why do you have a survivor speak out?
I think it is really important to remember that each statistic has a face behind it. The speak out reminds us of what we need to continue to fight on campus and in the rest of the world. It also provides a safe and respectful community for people who may never have shared their stories before.

How do you hope Penn kids will respond to TBTN?
I hope that they will come with open minds and leave determined to help stop sexual violence. I hope that they will learn from the stories shared by our speakers and learn how to confront these issues when they see them.

What is the tone of this event? Somber? Hopeful?
All of these in turn! The rally is moving and empowering. The march is fun (you get to wave signs and shout chants like “Break the silence, stop the violence!”). The vigil and speak out is heartbreaking, somber but still hopeful because as horrible as some of the speakers’ experiences were, they survived. In the end, the whole event is educational and empowering. 

How can others get involved?
Definitely come to the event!! If you (or your organization on campus) want to show support in other ways as well, contact any member of ASAP for more information. We will be having a poster-making night the Monday before TBTN at 7pm to make signs for the march. Talk about the event on your listserves, facebook, etc.

If anyone wants to get more involved in the planning of TBTN, we have weekly meetings, Tuesday at 8pm, at the Penn Women’s Center. ASAP is also hosting a screening of Invisible War, the U.S. Documentary Award Winner at Sundance, on April 17th. We have meetings and discussions throughout the year that I encourage anyone who is interested to attend.

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.