Campus Celebrities: Spring Fling Directors Kelly Chen, Casey Peeks, and Julie Palomba

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

It’s that time of year again, the time of year when the entire school can join together for one wild weekend of friends, festivity, music and (hopefully) memories. Yes, Spring Fling has arrived and as we all spent the past weekend finishing our schoolwork in hyped anticipation, three awesome young women were putting the final touches on the party they’ve dedicated their year to planning. Kelly Chen, Casey Peeks, and Julie Palomba, have been on SPEC since their freshman year, and are directors for the 2011 to 2012 school year.

You can thank Julie this weekend when you’re just so hungry and you realize your favorite food vendor is in the quad. As for the inflatable castle you’re bouncing on, that’s all Casey. And finally, direct your gratitude towards Kelly when you obtain a sexy voice Phoebe Buffet would be jealous of from hours of screaming at the awesome performers on the quad stages. Her Campus UPenn caught up with this tenacious trio to talk about how they planned the most anticipated weekend of the year, and, of course, the perks that go along with it.

Her Campus: How’d you get involved with fling SPEC?
Kelly Chen: I’ve known about SPEC since high school because my cousin was SPEC Secretary in 2004. Because of that I checked it out and joined freshmen year.
I loved it!
Casey Peeks: I was encouraged to join SPEC by my freshmen year hallmates.
Almost every girl on my freshmen hall went to the first meeting together. I loved the idea of helping to plan Penn’s most exciting weekend!
Julie Palomba: I joined Spring Fling committee and Concerts committee my freshman year. Between these two committees, I worked shifts for basically the whole weekend of events, and had so much fun. That was when I decided to apply to be a director.

HC: What were you duties as a director of fling?
CP: I organize the activities happening in the Upper Quad, all the student groups and inflatable games. This year there will be a photo booth. I also plan the Saturday night Carnival on College Green with tons of free food giveaways, DJ and more inflatables!
KC: I plan daytime entertainment, so choosing bands for the Quad stages. I’m also in charge of souvenirs, so organizing the T-shirt design contest and guest passes.
JP: My responsibilities included choosing the vendors featured in the quad and organizing all of the logistical operations of the festival.

HC: What is the most challenging part about organizing Fling?
ALL: The most challenging part about organizing Fling is balancing school work and Fling work in the few weeks leading up to the event… And answering endless volumes of emails everyday.

HC: Have you found any benefits to planning Fling?
KC: Planning Fling is a resume booster, it gives you an extra edge during interviews, it gets the conversation going. I’ve learned a lot from working with my fellow directors.
CP: I’ve interacted with a wide range of people at Penn from administrators to student groups and it’s given me new insight on how this campus runs and all of the people who keep it running. There are so many people involved with making sure Fling is a success! I feel much more connected with the campus now.
JP: Planning fling has been an amazingly rewarding experience! It has provided me with practical experience in organization, planning, and communication skills that will translate to so many other facets of my life. I know that when I look around the Quad at the end of Saturday, I will be really proud of what we accomplished, and that feeling will make all of our hard work worth it.

HC: Is there a lot of pressure planning probably the most anticipated weekend of the year?
KC: Yes, but in the end it’s worth the stress and pressure.
CP: Yes, it can be stressful at times but it’s a lot of fun and worth all the work. Right now, I would definitely do it again, but let’s see how this weekend goes first.
JP: We put a lot of pressure on ourselves in striving to put on a flawless event, but ultimately Fling will always be lots of fun for everyone no matter what happens. So keeping that in mind definitely helps put things into perspective.

HC: Is there anything you are nervous for as the weekend approaches?
ALL: The weather! Last year the rain was a catastrophe, but right now it looks like warm weather and clear skies.

HC: Do you have any Fling advice for freshmen?
KC: Try to come out to as many Fling activities as possible. It’s your first Fling; try to soak it all up!
CP: Come to the Carnival! I would say that Carnival is the hidden treasure of Fling. There’s a ton of free food, inflatables and a great DJ. It’s a good place to meet up with friends before going out on Saturday night.
JP: Dont miss the concert, (or any SPEC events for that matter). Try a fried oreo, its a Fling tradition. Do stop by Carnival, we give out free food! Freshman Quad residents, lock your doors! Upperclassmen will try to visit heir old freshman dorm room.

HC: What is you favorite part of Fling?
CP: Getting to act like a big kid on the inflatables!
KC: Zooming around the campus on the golf carts.
JP: The concert is great because its a venue that has everyone in one place celebrating Fling.

HC: Do you have a favorite Fling memory?
CP: Last year I got to dance on stage with Flo Rida during the concert when he pulled people up from the floor. It is one of my all time favorite Penn memories.
KC: Waving my all access pass to cut the food lines at Carnival.
JP: I really had a fun time at the concert because I was able to be in the floor section and meet the artists between sets. My picture with Lupe was my profile picture for a while…

HC: What has it been like working as a trio?
ALL: We really work well together as a team. We get along as co-workers, but more importantly, we have formed a strong friendship in the process. We are big fans of director bonding sessions, like our restaurant week dates! We also support each other when one of us needs help on their end of planning, which really has been a lifesaver. We couldn’t have done it without the strong support from each other.

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.