AXO Vice President of Philanthropy Heidi Eggert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

“I love being super busy, like practically in tears,” Heidi Eggert says – well then, she hasn’t been happier in ages. As Alpha Chi Omega’s Vice President of Philanthropy, the outgoing blonde is in charge of this year’s Big Man on Campus event. With just a few days until the big show, Eggert is ready to make this year’s event the best one AXO has ever seen.

Name: Heidi Eggert
Year: 2014
School: College of Arts and Sciences
Major: Spanish

What exactly is the Big Man on Campus event?
It’s AXO’s annual philanthropy event. It’s huge!! The competition is comprised of a junior boys division and a senior boys division. The individuals then compete on stage; they can do a choreographed dance, sing or show us any talent they have. There is a winner and runner-up for both the junior group and senior group, and the winners go home with gift cards to popular places around Penn’s campus.

How are the guys chosen?
We have a group of senior and junior sisters who meet and nominate guys they think might make for a good show. The guys are usually well known and outgoing, come from diverse groups on campus and can bring something special to the table. We have a lot of Greek representation. Once the girls help narrow down our pool of nominees, I make the final decision.

Where do the proceeds go?
Alpha Chi Omega’s national philanthropy is domestic violence awareness. We donate all proceeds from the event to the nonprofit agency “Women Against Abuse” in Center City, Philadelphia.  

What’s your favorite part of the event?
I have really, really enjoyed organizing the BMOC. It’s a huge team effort. Every sister has to help out in some way, from selling tickets to helping to promote the event on Locust Walk. I am the head of the event, but everyone is working together so it can be a success.

When’s the big day?
It’s Wednesday, November 14th at 8 p.m. at The Roxxy nightclub, 939 N. Delaware Ave. Tickets are $10, and you can get them from any AXO sister. You can also buy them on Locust from now until the actual event.

Apart from planning BMOC, what else do you do around campus?
I’m a tour guide. I’m involved in PennQuest, which is one of the most fantastic experiences I’ve ever had. I also play club field hockey.

Favorite spot on campus: Steps of Perelman Quad
Favorite time of the year at Penn: Fall
If you could change one thing about your Penn experience, what would it be? I wouldn’t change anything. 
My ideal day would be… With my closest friends or my family, and we’d go somewhere none of us have ever been and just explore. 
On a typically weeknight you’ll find me… Sitting on my couch with my amazing roommates pretending to do homework, but actually we’re just playing with our kitten, Scout, and laughing at ourselves.

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn