The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

The makeup industry has been shifting focus from the full–glam looks towards the “clean look,” or the more minimalist makeup style. Beauty companies are not only emphasizing the ease of application but also the “sheer,” but “buildable” coverage and versatility of their products. Recent launches have been more inclusive in their shade ranges and skin type considerations. More companies are becoming more conscious of their shades, especially the undertones they offer, and in their marketing campaigns as well. 

Additionally, latest product releases, whether it be for base products or cheek/eye products, are more frequently multi–use and streamlined. These types of products are not only convenient, but also allow consumers to achieve a “clean,” monochromatic, minimalist makeup look. If you are looking to join the “clean girl” trend, here are a few products that are shade inclusive and universal I would recommend no matter your skin tone.

For this type of makeup, the base is very important. Starting off with a good skincare base is best, and make sure to not forget sunscreen! Many people like to use a glowy base like the Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter or the Supergoop Glow Screen, but these aren’t necessarily required. The Flawless Filter is offered in multiple shades to suit several skintones, but since it’s a pretty sheer formula, different shades might match any given skin tone. The glow screen is just a glowy base with no base color, so it works for all skin tones. As long as your skin is prepped and moisturized, you should be ready to glow! 

Next, the base is fairly simple. The goal is just to even out the complexion and add a healthy glow. To do this, you could use a light layer of foundation or just use concealer. The Kosas Revealer Foundation is a newer launch. Their Revealer Concealer was very well–loved among the beauty community, so Kosas formulated a foundation in the same line. This foundation has a light to medium, buildable coverage and includes several skincare ingredients like hyaluronic acid and niacinamide. This foundation also comes in thirty–eight different shades, so there’s a shade for everyone, and their website has a shade finder to assist you if you’re buying online. 

For brows and eyes, brow gels are preferable over pencils. Here, the key point is to have fluffy, slicked brows. Using a spooly to brush out your brows and following up with a tinted or clear brow gel to set them in place is all you need to do! It’s super simple and helps to frame your face. For this part, the NYX Brow Glue is a great dupe for any high–end brow gels. Your brows will not budge all day long. 

Any mascara will do, and very natural false lashes if any. A little goes a long way, which is a common theme across the “clean look” routine. This look is all about enhancing your natural features while creating an overall polished aesthetic.

Probably the most important part of this look is blush. 2021 was definitely the year of blush, and this trend has trickled into the new year as well. Cream blush is the product of choice for this particular look, and these are typically multi–use products. 

The Rose Inc Blush Divine Clean Dewy Cream Blush is a great option. It comes in six different shades that are all pretty neutral, but still have good color payoff. This formula can also be used on the eyes and lips because it’s emollient; it’s also very convenient because you can use it with a brush, sponge, or just your fingers. The packaging is also refillable! 

Another multi–use product that is perfect for this look is any of the Benefit tints like the Benetint. This water–like formula works on the cheeks and lips as well. It’s impressively long–lasting and surprisingly natural yet buildable. You can either create a sheer flush or a stronger rosy look.

Lastly, the final touch is to add even more glow. You can either use the same glowy base product you used before foundation or concealer, or you can use a separate product depending on your preference. The Charlotte Tilbury Hollywood Flawless Filter can be used as a highlighter, but if you prefer powder highlight, the Ilia DayLite Highlighter Powder is a great option. This formula is very natural yet still packs a punch. It doesn’t leave a powdery streak on your cheek, and it can also be used on your eyes and in your inner corner as well. Any highlighting product that is natural yet glowy will basically give the same effect. 

The “clean look” is one that’s supposed to be quite effortless but can have different interpretations. Some days, you could want a more laid back look and some days you might want to be a bit more put together. The same products can help you achieve either look. The point is to maintain a minimalist aesthetic that enhances your natural beauty and highlights your features.

Minjee Cho

U Penn '23

Minjee is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania studying biology. She is from Malvern, Pennsylvania and loves golfing, cooking, and makeup. She is also very passionate about journalism and women's empowerment.