5 Surprising Trends From 2013 That Will Last Through The Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

2013 is quickly becoming the year of surprises. Netflix received 14 Emmy nominations, cheetah print is now considered a neutral, Miley Cyrus wore scant clothing and performed outrageously at the MTV Video Music Awards.

Okay, so maybe that last one wasn’t really a surprise. But the last eight months have certainly trained us in incredulity. These five surprising trends may have started earlier this year, but I’m predicting they’ll last far into 2014.

1. Horizontal Stripes

We’ve all heard it before: never, ever wear horizontal stripes. To those who’ve taken Psych 001—so that’s 70% of undecided majors and 100% of premeds—it’s obvious that the print makes us look wider. But somehow, it’s everywhere! All you have to do to see it is look around. The most versatile is a bold black-and-white, but it comes in many contrasting colors: pink and orange, green and blue.

I encourage fashionistas to hop on the train soon if you haven’t already. Clothes aren’t the only option, however. Throw your books into a striped tote, like this gorgeous one by Kate Spade. Even a striped cell phone case would do just fine.

2. Mascara-Free Makeup Routines

Have you ever rubbed your eyes after a long day and felt the crunch of dried mascara between your fingers? Well thanks to this trend, that won’t be a problem anymore! On runways such as Alexander Wang, Tom Ford, and Carolina Herrera, models have recently been rocking soft, naked lashes.

Be aware though, this doesn’t preclude a makeup routine completely. Designers have paired this look with a bold smoky eye, which creates the illusion of heavily painted lashes. Dewy, bronze skin and neutral eyes are probably more appropriate for the classroom. Don’t forget to use an eyelash curler to open up your gorgeous eyes! Or swipe on a red lip and you’ll look classic.

3. 1990s Fashion

Being ‘90s kids is part of what makes our generation special. Just the mention of Hey Arnold!, Ribbon Dancers, or gel pens stirs up precious nostalgia that neither we nor the writers at BuzzFeed can resist. Lucky for you, now you can wear your ‘90s loud and proud (without being condemned to “What is she wearing?”-land). Take it from someone who tried to bring back overalls too early—that is a very good thing.

So tie a high ponytail in the brightest, scrunchiest scrunchie you own, tuck a pencil into the front of your (officially chic) overalls, and join the ranks of Rihanna, Kate Moss, and even Topanga Lawrence. Pair them with a white button-down and oxfords or ballet flats for a grown-up take on the trend.

4. Nude Nails

The easiest way to look like a model fresh off of the runway this season? Opt for a neutral color next time you paint your nails. The trend actually began with milk-white manicures that premiered during springtime fashion shows, such as Karen Walker. It’s easy to see why the look will translate perfectly into autumn. From wintery grays, browns, and plain nude, it’s a perfect way to devote attention to your outfit while keeping your hands looking effortlessly clean and fresh.

Especially as autumn colors fill your wardrobe, your nails will provide a clean slate to feature the deepest burgundy skirt or chunky orange sweater without having to worry about your teal nails clashing. To update the look further, skip the shine and go matte.

5. Benedict Cumberbatch

Ben, Cumby, The Batch, whatever you want to call him, Cumberbatch is certainly one of this year’s fastest trends. The actor, described as “puppyish and bumbling” by Mark Gatiss (writer and co-star of BBC’s Sherlock), starred most recently as Khan in Star Trek: Into Darkness. Can a person really be a trend? Judging by the number of BuzzFeed articles about him (ranging from one containing the same .gif of him taking off a scarf thirteen times—I know you know the one, don’t lie—to a name-generator inspired by his whimsical moniker), the answer is a resounding yes.

To embrace this trend, I would suggest starting with Sherlock, which is readily available on Netflix. Fair warning: Pretty soon, you’ll be participating in games of “Who can name the most movies Benedict’s been in,” or “How many ways can we describe Benedict without getting creepy” with your Cumberbitch friends or, more likely, random people on the street. Everyone loses that second one, because it definitely gets creepy.

Former editor-in-chief of Her Campus UPenn