5 Helpful Tips for Studying Abroad this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.
As we finish the final lap of our 2013-2014 school year, we can practically taste summer. For many of us this means internships, research, or summer school, but for some this means travelling and studying abroad. Whether you are a rising junior preparing for your fall semester abroad or a freshman taking a course in Italy this summer, the same set of tips are invaluable to all students. Below are some tips you want keep in mind before you stamp your passport and embark on the journey of a lifetime.

1. Be a traveller, not a tourist
Avoid being a tourist with these key tips!

2. Know your power sources
Nothing is sadder than a burnt out laptop, cellphone, and iPod with incompatible chargers. Prepare! It won’t take long, and it is really worth it to plan at least this little in advance.

3. Know your city
Whether you’re studying in England in Tunisia, don’t forget to do your homework not only about the city, food, and attractions, but also about the culture, traditions, and language. This will help you fit in as a traveller, and it will give you a better overall experience if you are not coming in blind.

4. Know your currency. 
Be aware of what’s a deal and what’s a rip off. It’s easy to be taken advantage of if you don’t know what you’re dealing with. Don’t be a victim of tourist ignorance.

5. Know the transportation.
Just because it’s an option doesn’t mean that’s what you should take/do. Put in some research to see how the locals get around. You don’t want to get caught on some ratchet subway at 2am and find out that you should have just taken a cab.

Have fun, safe travels, and, of course, don’t forget to study! After all, it is study abroad.