3 Fun Holiday Activities to Take the Edge Off of Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Christmas trees and lights begin to pop up on Locust Walk, taunting you as you make your way to Van Pelt. While the holiday season spreads it’s light around campus, finals season looms and you are stuck in the library studying.

But let’s be realistic. Ask yourself: in the eight hours you spend locked in the library, how many of them are you actually studying for? My guess: four or five. Somewhere in those eight hours you are taking breaks to check Facebook, to Snapchat with friends, to post an artsy photo on Instagram (#finalssuck), or to scan Buzzfeed for a new quiz to distract you from your work. All of this time adds up, and before you know it you have spent all day locked inside, and yet only a few hours actually working. So put down your smartphone and log out of Facebook, be productive for the few hours that your brain can handle, and indulge in a real study break by enjoying some of the holiday activities that Philly has to offer.

1. Macy’s Holiday Light Show

Want to get a head start on your holiday shopping while taking a break from finals studying? Visit the Macy’s in Center City, where you can pick up some gifts for your family and friends and also enjoy Macy’s famous Christmas Light Show.

2. Franklin Square Holiday Festival

To soak up the most of the holiday season, visit Franklin Square Holiday Festival. Watch their Electrical Spectacle Holiday Light Show while also dancing to the soundtrack of holiday classics.

3. Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest

Want to do something that is both active and celebrates the holiday season? Take a break from studying and visit the Blue Cross RiverRink Winterfest where you can ice skate in the middle of a winter wonderland and sip on warm hot chocolate with friends.

Undergraduate student in the class of 2016 at The University of Pennsylvania studying English and Journalism. Avid triathlete. Aspiring ironman (woman). Lover of all things food and/or fitness related. Dog lover (especially my toy poodle, Martini).