Your First Trip to a Hockey Game (as told by Jimmy Fallon)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s Friday night and your friend has asked you to go to an NHL hockey game with them. You’ve never been to one before so of course you agree. You buy your ticket in the top section (because that’s where the cheap seats are – student priorities) and get all ready to go. As someone who knows absolutely nothing about hockey, here is your thought process throughout the night.

You look in your closet – what do you wear to a hockey game? Well it must be cold, so a sweatshirt should work with some jeans since you don’t own a jersey from either team.

Alright, you’re on your way to the game. Wow, look at all these faithful fans in their jerseys and hats! Is that a foam finger? I am not prepared for this at all.

Oooh all this food!! I could definitely go for a Coke and a slice of pizza. Or maybe a hot chocolate? Or a beer? SO MANY DECISIONS!

Who should I cheer for? I guess the home team right? Let’s see, which team are most people wearing? Yep, the home team. Alright, home team it is.

Oh it’s starting! Anthems, yeah I know these. And tip off? Is that what it’s called in hockey? Okay I think I understand this. The puck is going that way, that’s the defense. WAIT why did that guy just get shoved into the boards?

How is that not a penalty?? I don’t understand this.

Okay that period is over. How many are there to go? Oh look, there’s a camera scanning the crowd! Maybe I can make it on the Jumbotron!

Alright, the game is almost over. Thank God, I think I’ve had enough confusion for one night. Can this game end in a tie? No? Uh oh.

Alright overtime. Oh, it’s sudden death?! This is exciting. I hope someone scores soon. YES someone did!!

Well that was fun. Maybe I’ll do this again sometime (after analyzing some games so I don’t look like a clueless fool).

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, cover photo

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!
Zoe Crego

U Ottawa '17

Zoë held the position of President of Her Campus at uOttawa from 2015-2017 and was a Senior Chapter Advisor. She graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2017 and has pursued a career in the Canadian federal public service. She is very grateful to Her Campus for providing a creative outlet while studying and believes her experience with Her Campus helped her grow professionally and personally.