Yes to Living with Your Best Friend!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Living in residence is a big change from living at home! Going from living with a few family members to complete strangers means a lot of noise, a lot of energy and a lot of (hopefully good) memories. If you’re living in a traditional double residence for the upcoming school year, good luck sharing a fairly small living space with another person. I myself decided to live with one of my best friends from high school and contrary to what a lot of people say- BEST. DECISION. EVER. Here are some reasons why living with your best friend is the best idea:

1. No awkward introductions.Icebreakers can be really weird with anyone but not being familiar with someone can make the first few days really uncomfortable. Living with your BFF comes with automatic familiarity

2. You won’t be judged for sleeping in too late or getting judged for staying out all night.Your best friend knows you’re a good person and will support your out of whack sleeping habits (as long as you don’t judge them for doing the same).

3. When friends from home come to visit there’s no problem!There’s no stress about how to divide your time with a high school friend, because since you’re living together the friend can crash on the floor of your room (or even in your bed) and spend equal time with both of you.

4. You’ll always have someone to get food with.There’s nothing better after a long afternoon of studying/procrastinating than just being able to call out “Food” because you know your roomie was thinking the same thing. This also works when getting drinks too.

5. You can talk to her about anything at almost any time of day/night.No more “Hey, come over so I can tell you things” messages because look, she’s 3 feet away from you. All you have to do is say “So I’ve been thinking…” and next thing you know, you’ll be talking across the room until 3 AM about boys, girls, school and the funniest GIF you saw on Tumblr when you were supposed to be focusing on a lecture.

6. Cuddles.If you’re both affectionate people (my roommate and I both are) then you’ll have instant cuddles. Personal space? Nah, just crawl in bed for some best friend support. Who needs a bae to cuddle when your best friend is 0.01 seconds away  

7. You have someone to double date with.If you don’t want to brave the dating world alone, you have someone to tag along and can save you from repeating nightmares from the past. Best friend says that the person you’re seeing is too similar to your high school ex, ABORT MISSION. 

8. You also have a sure-fire way to get out of any awkward socializing.Can you come over? Oh sorry, roomie isn’t feeling great so we’re going to stay in, binge watch videos of puppies and stress eat so maybe another time. (There are times when this isn’t a made up excuse either) 

9. Your communication skills become a lot stronger.Truth is, you’ll end up in an argument with your best friend at some point or another living together. If you have a problem or are upset, you know that it’s okay to bring things up. Yes it may be awkward admitting you’re upset that she left the door to the mini fridge open too many times or addressing some elephant in the room but in the long run it will only strengthen your relationship. Getting things out in the open helps clear the air and you both know that your relationship is strong enough to survive a fight or two.

10. In the end you find yourself living with a mom, a sister, a friend, a doctor, a comedian, a shoulder to cry on and a person who you know you can be yourself around.University is a time of transition. Most people go through times of self-discovery in first year and having a support system is essential. I know that even when I was stressed out of my mind, my best friend would find a way to remind me that these four and a half years of pain will be worth it in the end. Your best friend cares about you and everything they do, it’s out of support and love.

Living with your best friend means you aren’t just living with a stranger but you’re living with someone who knows you and knows that you can pull through any challenges life throws at you.  Through the good, the bad and the ugly regrets it’s always nice coming home to your BFF. 

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3, 4

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.