Life > Experiences

Writer’s Block: My Experience with It and How to Overcome It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I can still remember the day I first decided I wanted to write for fun. Before that, I had always enjoyed taking out my storybooks and copying the writing from them. I can’t remember whether I even knew how to read then, but I loved marvelling at the sight of the letters on the page and the brightly coloured illustrations that went along with them. So I started writing stories of my own. These were stories about everything from animals to magical adventures to picnics with my friends. For me, writing was a way to tune out everything else and create my very own worlds and adventures.

Despite the fun, there were some challenges. Unfortunately, inspiration is not as limitless as others let on, and sometimes my ideas sputtered to a stop. Ideas I used to visualize in stories were now embarrassing or unrealistic. They just didn’t work. Even worse, my brain couldn’t seem to come up with any other stories worth telling. People like to think that kids’ imaginations are limitless and know no bounds, but the truth (for me at least) was that there comes a point where inventive ideas need to take a moment to pause.

I can’t say I’m alone in this. I know many writers (myself included) who frequently encounter writer’s block. Anyone can fall victim to it. And that’s ok! Our brains, just like our bodies, need time to refresh every once in a while. We’re people after all, not machines that can constantly come up with new ideas and topics. Writing (for some of us) can take a lot of mental energy, and there’s no harm in needing to recharge. Sometimes a step away from your pen or computer is all it takes to get those ideas running again.

So, if you’re ever facing a bout of writer’s block, don’t discourage. There’s plenty you can do in the meantime that may even help to inspire you.

How To Overcome Writer’s Block

Writer’s block is undoubtedly every writer’s arch-nemesis! Thankfully, there are a few things you can do to overcome it:

Take a walk! Taking a long walk in the great outdoors has done wonders for me when dealing with writer’s block. Sometimes there’s nothing more soothing than enjoying the fresh air and the peacefulness of nature. There’s nothing better than a calm headspace to get those ideas flowing.

Try painting or drawing to get some inspiration if art is more your style.

Delve into other hobbies (like cooking or reading an interesting novel) as a way to inspire your creativity.

Spend some time with friends or family. You could try brainstorming ideas with them, but sometimes having some laughs and enjoying others’ energy is all you need!

Above all, don’t despair when dealing with writer’s block. It can happen to all of us and with so many ways to tackle it, those ideas will come back in full force!

Maddie Bhamjee

U Ottawa '25

Hi, my name is Madeleine or Maddie!! I am a first-year student pursuing a double major in political science and philosophy. You'll find me writing!