This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Her Campus at U Ottawa acknowledges that we are located on the stolen and unsurrendered land of the Algonquin people. 

Unless you’ve been practically living under a rock, there’s no way you’re unaware of the FIFA World Cup happening right now. If you go outside, you’ll see cars displaying their support for their countries through giant flags and stickers, witness balconies waving their flag, spot sports bars filled with crowds, and hear 24/7 radio and sports news coverage.

The FIFA World Cup is the biggest sports event around the world, which makes sense since football is by far the most popular sport in the world. Although some might say that the Olympics would be the most popular since it encompasses a wider variety of sports, it’s simply not true. FIFA draws the most spectators, sponsors, money, and marketing. The most prestigious, most viewed, and most followed sporting tournament in the world is the FIFA World Cup! Additionally, football (soccer) is considered the world’s most popular sport and is most universally played around the world. So, since we can’t avoid it, let’s talk about it!

The FIFA World Cup has 3.4 billion viewers according to worldwide TV ratings. There are hundreds of nations that compete to just be able to participate in this event. To qualify for the World Cup, 211 nations compete for the duration of four years in hopes of partaking in the next one. But only 32 teams out of the 211 will qualify and are hence considered the best teams in the world.

This year Canada was able to qualify, really giving the fans something to look forward to. But unfortunately, we have since been eliminated. Nonetheless, qualifying alone is something to be proud of as a nation!

Fun fact, Brazil is the only team that has qualified for every single final tournament since its existence in 1930, and they hold the most titles ever won at five. Italy and Germany follow close behind, having won four cups each.

The FIFA World Cup offers immense rewards for winning. Other than receiving glory and the title of being the best football (soccer) team in the world for winning the FIFA World Cup, the winning team also receives a prize of 42 million dollars. There are prizes for other teams as well, with a total prize pool of 440 million dollars.

If this hasn’t convinced you to keep track of the world’s largest event at current, I don’t know what will. But you can bet that I’ll be watching and cheering on the side!

Mina Sehri

U Ottawa '23

Mina is in her fourth year of Joint Honours in Political Science and History with Co-op. She hopes to pursue a career in law! She is a huge raptors fan and loves going for car rides or reading to unwind. She loves to travel and hopes to see the world one day.