Why You Should Live Alone At Least Once (If You Can)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you had the chance to live alone, would you? Surely, living alone takes some getting used to (especially if you’ve grown up in a large family or have always had someone to come home to), but we’re about to give you a couple of reasons why living alone can be one of the most liberating, empowering, and exciting experiences ever.

Nagging yourself (rather than your roommate) can make you a better person

If you’ve ever had a roommate–whether that be a sibling, parent, or friend–you know what it’s like when something isn’t done right (according to you). The fact of the matter is that no two (or more) people have the exact same habits and ways of life–from doing the dishes a certain way to communication styles when bringing up conflict. When you live with someone else, you’ll need to comprise, at least in some capacity. But when you live alone, you’re the only one you have to nag.

If the soap isn’t squeezed out the sponge, you’ve got no one else to blame but you. If you haven’t taken the trash out in a week, that’s also on you.

Everyone has some annoying habits, but I find that it’s a lot easier to detect these in another person. However, we have to look within sometimes. When you correct your own bad habits, you’re not only going to become a roommate for the next person, but you’re also going to develop skills that will help you in life later on. When you live alone, you learn discipline, because you’re not only living a certain way to appease someone else, but you’re also acquiring healthier habits to better yourself.

Being solo means you do sh*t on your own

When you live alone, you’ll become more proficient at tasks that a roommate (a parent, a friend, a partner) used to manage, like taking the garbage out, cooking, budgeting, and household repairs. When you live alone, you can’t always rely on someone else to do the dirty work; you’re your own handyman. And it can be immensely empowering. Doing things on your own, without having to depend on another person, gives you active independence.

If you’ve been used to relying on other people, living alone can build your confidence like nothing else. The reality is that you won’t always have someone on speed-dial (as nice as that would be), so it’s really important to learn how to make decisions on your own, build and maintain your space, and gain confidence and independence through it all.

The privacy Is freeing

Are you used to your bedroom being the only bit of privacy you have? Well, when you live alone, that’s not the case. Living alone means that your entire home is your personal bubble.

Want to walk around naked? Go for it. Want to put a self-portrait up in the living room? Love it. Basically, when you’re on your own, you can do whatever you want, wherever you want, whenever you want. The space is yours. This freedom also means that you can invite your friends over whenever you want without having to ask for permission. Privacy can be both a right and a privilege, but when you live alone, you can have as much of it as you desire.

You can be as loud and obnoxious or as quiet and anti-social as you want

Haven’t used your speaker in a while because your roommate isn’t a fan of your music? Can’t watch The Bachelor in the living room because your roommate can hear it in the background and doesn’t want the finale spoiled? We’ve all been there. But when you live alone, you don’t have to worry about these things. Blast your speaker, watch that movie, FaceTime your friends for as long (and as loud) as you want.

Living alone also means that you choose when you want to have company. Every one of us have had those days where silence is all we need. The peace and mental solitude of living alone can help you recover from the stress that often comes with everyday life. Without having to constantly talk to someone, you’ll have a lot more time to think without interruptions or guilt.

Is it for you?

Living alone isn’t for everyone. Obviously, there are pros and cons to both solo and group living. At the end of the day, the right living situation is going to be one that lifts you up and supports your physical and mental well-being. Being on your own may not be for you, and that’s okay.

If:

• You don’t enjoy your own company (at least not right now)
  • The thought of doing anything on your own terrifies you
  • You’re financially unable to
  • You’re going through a tough time mentally
  • You’re lonely even when you have a roommate

… then maybe solo living isn’t for you. Do what makes you feel happy, and everything else will work itself out.

Hi there :) I'm a fourth-year student at uOttawa pursuing an Undergraduate Degree in Communications. My passion for writing goes far beyond my academic and professional career – I love art, poetry, storytelling, and everything to do with creative writing. I hope you enjoy my work!