Why New Year’s Resolutions are Stupid

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

So 2016 is beginning and of course that means you have to make a New Year’s Resolution. But does it really?

Every year you tell yourself you want to lose the freshman fifteen you’ve gained every year since starting university or maybe you want to drink less. You’ve made some sort of resolution every year since you can remember and if you add them all up you probably need to lose about eighty pounds, stop smoking twice and spend five years sober. So are you really going to do it this year?

An even better question to be asking is: Why does the beginning of the year mean something needs to change? Why does this arbitrary year created by some ancient civilization mean I have to lose fifteen pounds and get sober? Why can’t I do it at any other time of the year? Maybe I should start asking everyone what their May resolution is every year.

Just because the year is changing does not mean that you get a fresh new start. You are still living the exact same life. Nothing has changed, you have not changed. If you really wanted to start over you’d go into witness protection or something.

So if you really want to make a change in your life, just do it. Don’t wait for January 1st and don’t ask me what I will be changing about myself this year. 

Picture Credits
Cover Picture, 1, 2

Hello and Welcome to my profile! I am a second year Psychology student at uOttawa as well as a first year writer for the HCuOttawa chapter.