This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It may seem like everyone and their mother nowadays is a Swiftie—a massive fan of Taylor Swift. As a non-Swiftie, it can be hard to understand the appeal and why being waitlisted for Eras tour tickets is so devasting. Everyone has their own reasons as to why they absolutely adore Taylor Swift; here are some reasons I think all Swifties can agree on.

Her Music

This one is probably the obvious reason why everyone is a Swiftie—her music and songwriting skills are what captivated many of us. Taylor Swift has been delivering poetic lyricism and revolutionary bridges for over a decade. She continuously shocks listeners with what she reveals in her songs and the subjects she writes about. She is an artist who creates work that is easy to connect with. Taylor Swift has a song for every possible emotion and situation you can think of: when you’re falling in love, heartbroken, studying for finals, turning 22, and so on.

Her music is relatable and personal; she’s an artist you can relate to at various points of your life and grow with. Her music can make going through tough times slightly easier and express your feelings with words you’re struggling to think of. Every Swiftie has a list of songs they feel deeply connected to. Her music is more than just catchy radio hits; it’s storytelling, confessing, and celebrating the highs and lows that the journey of life takes you on.

Easter Eggs

Taylor Swift makes it fun to be a Swiftie. One thing about Taylor Swift is that she loves to engage with her fans by leaving Easter eggs—references to past or future projects—everywhere. She leaves hints about song titles, albums, and fandom jokes everywhere from cryptic Instagram captions, to clothing, to TikToks, lyrics, and public speeches. She constantly has Swifties coming up with theories to predict what she is planning next. It motivates you to try to connect all the dots and wait to see if you’re correct. It’s fun to guess right and it’s equally as fun to be shocked by what actually happens. She hints at things years in advance sometimes! This keeps us eagerly waiting for quite some time so of course we have to stick around to see what tricks she has up her sleeve.

The Community

Taylor Swift creates a community for us Swifties to bond and share our favourite songs, looks, and theories. Being a Swiftie can be a great way to make friends and put yourself out there. The fandom is so widespread and diverse that no matter where you are from there is a passionate group of Swifties for you to bond with. There are numerous Taylor Swift-themed events such as dance nights, boat parties, and even cruises (if you’re that dedicated). If going out isn’t quite your thing, don’t worry! There are endless outlets on social media to interact with fellow Swifties as well; Swift-tok has all the Taylor Swift content one needs. There is no other celebrity that has a fandom that goes as all out as Swifties do. It’s simply so fun and entertaining to be a Swifite, it really never gets old.

Hopefully, I have offered some clarity on why the Taylor Swift fandom seems larger than ever, and maybe even inspired you to check out a song or two!

Jenna Edghill

U Ottawa '25

Hello, I’m Jenna I am currently in my third year at the University of Ottawa in the criminology program.