Who Runs the World? Katie Antonissen, Sunshine Bracelets Co.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

HCUO’s “Who Runs the World?” series aims to highlight the stories of female founders running small businesses while completing their studies.

With the days getting shorter and the weather getting colder (hello, spooky season!) things are starting to feel a bit gloomy. Luckily, Katie Antonissen – founder of Sunshine Bracelets Co. – has made it her mission to bring sunshine to your day, no matter what!

Katie is a first year Business-Marketing student at Fanshawe College and, with help from the SSUP program (a program that gives grants to entrepreneurs in high school) she was able to start her bracelet business and do what she loves best: making others as happy as can be! Keep reading to learn more about Katie and her business, and to find out how to get a bracelet that’s sure to give you a boost of positivity!

Woman wearing a necklace and a shirt to promote her business \'Sunshine Bracelets Co.\'
Photo by Katie Antonissen

HC: What made you want to start your business? 

Katie: “In grade 11 I was in a marketing course and for one of our assignments we had to come up with our own business for the day. I thought it’d be really cool to do a sunshine booth with everything yellow, so I made yellow bracelets, yellow cupcakes, [and] local students made paintings of sunflowers. Within the first 20 minutes of [the sunshine booth] being open, all of my bracelets had completely sold out! People told me they wanted more bracelets, and I’ve always dreamt of having my own business – when I was younger, while most kids would play house, I would pretend I had my own business in my room! The SUPP program was really helpful too – I got the grant and opportunities to go to craft shows for free. I got really good experience that helped me get on my feet.”

HC: What does a typical (school/work) day look like for you?

Katie: “I wake up, have a nutritious breakfast, and I get schoolwork out of the way first because I feel like the business is more fun for me. I also try not to do [schoolwork] for too long to avoid getting overwhelmed. Then, I go down to my office in the basement, I put on some relaxing music and bead away. When I bead, I think about all the information I just obtained when doing my online schooling, so I think it’s a good set-up for me. I’m in marketing too, so it kind of goes hand in hand with my business… it gives me ideas for my own business too.” 

HC: How do you balance running a business and doing your studies at the same time?

Katie: “I love making lists, it’s how I thrive. So, [I] definitely [recommend] making lists, having an agenda or calendar in your room or close by… even when I have an appointment or a giveaway to do, I make sure to write it down right away so that I feel more organized. [Then] once it’s done and you’re able to cross it off the list, you feel even more accomplished.”

HC: What is your favourite part of running a business? 

Katie: “My favourite part is definitely seeing products come together. When I’m searching Pinterest or gathering colour thoughts, I’ll look at colours that [complement] each other nicely, and then actually taking beads to it and making it happen in front of my eyes… I just think that’s so satisfying. I’m really picky about [the product photography too] and I try to make my profile as aesthetically pleasing as possible, so I really focus on that photography afterwards. It’s even nicer to photograph [a bracelet] and see it on your phone and be like ‘Wow I made that’. I also really love the social media aspect because I have a business account on Instagram and it’s nice to see how many people have looked at your profile after they’ve looked at a picture [of a product] so it gives me an idea as to what people are most interested in – [it] gives me an idea what my [designs] are going to be for future bracelets.”

Four multicoloured bracelets with a white background.
Photo by Katie Antonissen

HC: What is your typical procedure for completing an order? How long does it take?

Katie: “I would say to complete an order from start to finish it probably takes about 40 minutes. If you want a custom size, I measure it then I attach the clasp [and] bead it. The beads I use are very dainty so they take a long time to bead and there may or may not be many swear words happening when I drop [them] on the floor. I usually take pictures right afterwards, which is kind of time consuming as well. [As for packaging,] I put confetti in the package, then I wrap it up in tissue paper, put my sticker on and my business card in. I put it in a box or bubbler, label it with their name and that’s it. It’s like a gift because it’s already wrapped up for you! I do offer to put a handwritten note in, because I ship all across Canada to people’s family members and sometimes they’ll put a handwritten note in it, so I have the honour of putting the little note that they wrote for their granddaughter or their aunt or their cousin in the package that’s getting shipped all across Canada. It’s a really good feeling bringing sunshine to peoples’ day. I try to make everything as special as I can.” 

HC: What shipping options are available for those who want to buy your products? 

Katie: “I offer shipping across Canada for a $5 flat rate. I am not [yet selling] in the United States but I definitely could see [myself] broadening to the U.S. …and then if you’re from Norfolk County you’re more than welcome to come pick them up – I have a little bracelet spot where I put them – or, I do offer free delivery in Delhi and Simcoe.” 

HC: What advice would you give to young entrepreneurs? 

Katie: “There’s going to be competition, and you need to use that as motivation to do the best that you can do. I grew up in a small community and after I started this bracelet business many people thought it was a good idea to start their own bracelet businesses… I took it really to heart and it really upset me, but you know what, I take that as motivation, and I do the best I can. If you look at Nike, Under Armour and big brands like that, there’s always going to be competition – it’s preparing me for the big business world. So, my advice to young entrepreneurs is take competition as motivation and dream big because dreams will and can come true… and just keep sticking with it because in the end it’s going to be SO worth it and the possibilities are endless.” 

P.s. Keep an eye on Sunshine Bracelet Co.’s Instagram (@sunshinebraceletsco) and website in November – Women Against Violence Month – to support Katie’s collaboration with the women’s shelter in Simcoe: she’ll be selling purple bracelets and earrings and $5 from each product will be donated to the shelter! 

Know someone who would be perfect for this feature series? Send us your suggestions in an email at hc.uottawa@hercampus.com with the subject “Who Runs the World?” 

Note: responses have been formatted for the purposes of this story. 

Teaghan is a fourth-year Translation student who loves drinking espresso and thrifting--in that order. She is also a part of the Campus Trendsetters community! Find her on Instagram @teaghandurand :)
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!