Style > Fashion

Where Fashion Meets Inclusivity: Grabbing Grapefruit, by Kailey and Abby

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Kailey and Abby are two best friends who met in high school and have been inseparable ever since. From prom to college roomies, to breakups, travel, and self-growth, they’ve been through it all together. The pair launched Grabbing Grapefruit last year – a small business dedicated to promoting positivity, inclusivity, and empowerment through fashion. I had the pleasure of sitting down with Kailey and Abby to learn more about how they’ve grown as a brand, as business owners, as friends, and as women.

Two friends posing next to each other.
Photo by Grabbing Grapefruit

HC: Why did you create Grabbing Grapefruit? 

Grabbing Grapefruit: Believe it or not, Grabbing Grapefruit was a short-lived small blog with the mission of sharing our favourite products with other women! We really had no idea what exactly we wanted to do, but we always knew we were meant to build something great and create purpose and meaning in our lives and the lives of others. From the essence of freshness, the mindset that life is yours to grab, and the sweetness that creativity has to offer, the name Grabbing Grapefruit was born.  

Eventually, we thought we could do even MORE. We had been best friends doing literally everything together for years, but one thing that posed a challenge to us was shopping together.  We knew that we were different body sizes, and that was a beautiful thing. However, the shopping experience didn’t quite feel like that. With limited sizing available in most stores, we decided to create a brand promoting wellness and inclusivity. We officially launched our online store on September 23, 2022 – the start of Libra season. Believe it or not, Abby and I were born one day apart and we’re both Libras. So we really think that we were destined for this. 

HC: What does a regular day look like for you?

Grabbing Grapefruit: As best friends and business partners, we typically begin our days individually by waking up, doing a morning check-in with each other, having coffee if you’re Abby and having chocolate milk if you’re Kailey (haha), and making breakfast. Kailey actually has a full-time job elsewhere, so the balance between both of us works really great – when I’m not available, Abby will take the lead and vice versa. We have daily FaceTime calls, weekly meetings, and of course, pack our orders. We also can’t go a day without listening to our favourite podcasts: Girls Gotta Eat, Call Her Daddy, and Crime Junkie! 

Woman drinking a glass of juice in front of a flower wall.
Photo by Grabbing Grapefruit

HC: What’s your favourite part of running Grabbing Grapefruit?

Grabbing Grapefruit: Do we have to choose only one?! Gosh…there are so many things we absolutely love! Seeing other people wear our loungewear and knowing that there is meaning behind every piece and collection we’ve created! Being able to spend our days creating content, networking and finding inspiration within the connections we’ve made! Our business really allows us to connect with different people with incredible perspectives and different ways of thinking. Connections with women who are from around the world, that we probably wouldn’t have met otherwise.

HC: How do you come up with your clothing designs?

Grabbing Grapefruit: We have three things that are non-negotiables for when we started creating our clothing. Quality. Sizing. Meaning. 

To us, great clothing means great quality. We are confident with the quality of our products and we worked really hard to find the materials that fit our standards. Good quality means long-lasting, durable fabric. 

Woman modelling clothes from Grabbing Grapefruit
Photo by Grabbing Grapefruit

Another essential factor in our clothing was SIZING. Being the best of friends that loved doing everything together, this was something that often posed a challenge for us. We don’t agree with operating in a way that focuses on a narrow and realistic standard of beauty. Instead, we are dedicated to only carrying our pieces in sizes that are in the range of XS-3XL. With time and growth, we are planning to expand to sizes through 6XL, as we realize that body diversity doesn’t just stop at 3XL. 

Meaning! Our pieces are designed with meaning. Each of them. A few of our pieces have scripture that is written by us to inspire women and keep the inspiration spreading to others who see individuals in our clothing. Our “Own the Moment” crew necks and tees are truly one of our most meaningful pieces.

HC: At what point did you have *the moment* of realization that your business was a success?

Grabbing Grapefruit: That *moment* was getting a YES to hosting our pop-up event in the book giant and retail store, Indigo. We had scheduled a meeting with Indigo and shared our story, ideas, and our authentic selves and solidified an event date at a well-known and trusted brand. When we left the store, this is the moment that we did the biggest happy dance – the type you see in the movies. We thought to ourselves, “Wow, we can really do this.”

HC: Do you have any advice for someone looking to start their own business?

Grabbing Grapefruit: Get comfortable with being uncomfortable. Go to events that you don’t normally go to. Talk to someone new that you don’t normally talk to. There is a world of possibility out there and you have the power to create your own future. You are the leader of your own life and anything you dream can come true if you put the work and determination into it. You can’t grow in settings that are always the same. Do something new, talk to different people; it will open a world full of possibilities. 

Check out their website to add new, super cute pieces to your closet in time for the summer – I know I will!