What Would you Rather Lose? Your Cellphone or your Wallet?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

It’s 2014 and our eyes are always focused into our gadgets, most notably – CELLPHONES! It seems we cannot live without these precious little devices which back in the day were probably larger in size than a regular home telephone! Nowadays, cell phones are built-in with so many apps that we don’t even need to use extra services or carry so much with us. By this, I mean carrying an agenda with our daily tasks since our calendar app comes to use, we don’t need a paper to have our grocery list written down since there’s an app for that too, and most importantly – we don’t need to wear a watch to tell time as our phone does that now! (Seriously, what’s a watch?) Kids in a decade or less would probably be asking that of us! 

According to a market research study on www.pcworld.com, a poll was conducted asking which would be a bigger loss, cell phone or wallet? The results were pretty surprising, as 40% of cell phone users would prefer to lose their wallet instead of their cell phone. Most of them said that they would be “devastated” if their phone was lost or stolen. Sheesh, that is a pretty large number! Why do people prefer losing their wallet over their phone? What apps are so addictive and become such a part of our life that we can let go of our wallet instead? Well, let’s find out! 

Firstly, our cell phones include all gadgets such as a camera into one small device. A camera is included in all smartphones with quality clear megapixels that go up to almost 16 MP in some smartphones (nowadays there are “superphones” too!) Another popular application (app) people seem to use a lot is the alarm clock. People use the alarm on their phone nowadays to wake up, instead of the big, chunky real alarm clock! For girls, there’s a really popular app called “Period Tracker”. This app is such a RELIEF for those who cannot track when their next awaited period date is, and moreover it lets us mark down details of our “period” and mark down dates such as “intimacy”. It’s a life-saving app. (Haha, get it?). There are many apps on cellphones (whether it’s an Android, iPhone, or BlackBerry) for fitness as well. These apps motivate and tell us our progress at the gym of course!

Another point as to why the majority of people would rather lose their wallet instead of their phone is that they can conduct all their banking online using banking mobile apps, and have more control and access to their accounts. But how safe is it to use mobile banking on your phone? I mean what if someone accessed your phone and got through to making money transfers to his/her account? That would be pretty scary as well… then again, phones do have a lock screen. But how much can we trust that? 

In addition, instant messaging has never disappeared. With the increase of data plans and Wi-Fi on almost all cell phones, people have been using apps such as What’s App, Viber, Skype, and Snapchat to communicate with one another.  With these apps, people can instantly take pictures or videos or even voice recordings and send them to the receiver within seconds! Oh, the power of technology and communication today! And just to include some better news; these apps let us talk to everyone around the world for FREE! We can send an unlimited number of messages, videos and pictures to people instantly. 

Last but not least, cellphones are almost undetachable from the human species – especially those who are addicted to their phone games! Candy Crush anyone? Some notable famous games with over one million downloads include Candy Crush, Subway Surf, 4 Pics 1 Word, Blooms TD Battles, and The Simpsons Tapped out.  These games are fun, popular and available worldwide on mostly all operating devices such as Android or Apple. 

Those are just a few popular apps on our phones which make them so hard to part from. Meaning that we would rather give up our wallet instead of our cellphone. These apps include health and lifestyle, entertainment, games, communication such as instant messaging and much more! There is an unlimited number things we can do with our cellphones, which have become a part of our daily lifestyle. 

SOURCES:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/166628/bigger_loss_phone_or_wallet.html

http://pro.clubic.com/legislation-loi-internet/propriete-intellectuelle/droit-auteur/actualite-613914-editeur-candy-crush-saga-revendique-droits-termes-candy-saga.html

http://pressandupdate.com/free-app-for-download-whatsapp-your-family-and-friends/

http://www.bdtechie.com/the-best-mobile-phones-to-integrate-with-your-business-phone-system.html