This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Despite all the horrors and anguish that the world has suffered in the past and heartache the world is currently experiencing, we’re still able to pick ourselves up and be the best that we can be. From natural disasters, such as hurricanes, earthquakes and even tsunamis, all the way to issues with education, malnutrition, and cancer, the world suffers much more and in far greater areas of our lives than many of us realize. Yes, many of us may not have the means to give back and pay it forward, but a simple act of kindness can go a long way. There are many designers and artists who’ve taken the time and funds to create charities to help those who are less fortunate. And maybe less fortunate is not the right word, but in times of war, famine, and natural disasters, many countries and communities suffer far greater than we may realize. Which is why companies and organizations such as TOMS or even charities like UNICEF, raise money and awareness to help those in times of despair. They also aid in situations where they need the support from their community and from their neighbouring countries. Here are a few designers and charities that they’ve partnered with who have helped raise millions of dollars and awareness for numerous causes:

Ralph Lauren & The Pink Pony Fund and The Ralph Lauren Center for Cancer Care and Prevention

According to Ralph Lauren (quote taken from article in marieclaire.com), “Breast cancer isn’t just a woman’s issue—it affects all of us: brothers, husbands, fathers, children, friends. Too many American’s suffer disproportionately from cancer because they lack the access to basic, quality health care. The Pink Pony campaign is our effort to bring adequate care to underserved communities. It is my hope that people everywhere are able to receive screenings that make it possible to detect cancer at an earlier, more curable stage.”

Kenneth Cole & amfAR (The Foundation for AIDS Research)

Kenneth Cole, the Chairman of the Board of this wonderful organization, has helped raise over $366 million dollars that helped create numerous advances in prevention, treatment and care for those with HIV. AmfAR has helped give back the life and hope to the people in the world living with HIV/AIDS or who are vulnerable to HIV infection.

Oscar de la Renta & New Yorkers for Children

New Yorkers For Children (NYFC) helps children who are supported through welfare systems by promoting paths to stable childhood and adulthood through a solid education and ensuring the support and the sustainable relationships with caring adults, in means to leave a positive impact on their life.

James Ferragamo & GlobalGiving (Earthquake relief fund)

James Ferragamo partenered with GlobalGiving after an earthquake hit a small Italian village, L’Aquila. With the help of GlobalGiving, an earthquake relief fund was created to help those in similar situations. Ferragamo set up an online auction for signed Ferragamo handbags to raise money and awareness to help benefit the cause.   

Michael Kors & Breast Cancer Research Foundation

Breast Cancer Research Foundation (BCRF) is a foundation to help prevent and help cure breast cancer. BCRF is a major charitable foundation that Kors supports for friends, family, and clients, but mostly in honour of his life partner’s mother who had breast cancer for over 35 years. Breast cancer research foundation is an amazing cause to support and help raise awareness for those who live with breast cancer, and even for those who have the breast cancer gene.

Angela Missoni & Orphan Aid Africa

Angela Missoni, the Creative Director of Missoni, got involved with Orphan Aid Africa after her daughter travelled there and the charity grew close to her heart. Orphan Aid Africa is a non-profit organization that “creates programs and projects to help vulnerable children and their families in Ghana, West Africa”.

TOMS, One for One

One for One offers the gift of shoes and the gift of sight to help a person in need. With every pair of TOMS shoes purchased, a new pair of shoes will be given to a child in need. With every pair of TOMS glasses purchased, a new pair of glasses or medical eye care will be given to someone in need.

All of these designers organizations, have created charities to help prevent cancer, raise awareness for AIDS, earthquake and other natural disaster relief systems, and even charities to help create educational foundations for those without the means to go to school.

If you can help raise money and awareness for causes such as cancer, human rights, AIDS prevention, relief systems, and many more foundations, it can significantly help those in times of crisis. Human rights activists, such as Ghandi, have shown us that we have the means to help those around us. And that giving a lending hand can have the means to significantly change the world around us. You can’t simply wait for something to happen, you have to take the first few steps and want it to happen bad enough, that you start the change you want to see in the world. 

Credits 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Hey my name is Madison, and I'm a fourth year English & Communications major at the University of Ottawa. I love fashion, beauty, and anything health related! I'm a frequent blogger (yay for tumblr), painter, writer, vinyl collector, traveler, shopaholic, and a hopeless romantic.