UO App: “We’re Not in Kansas Anymore – A guide to going to school out of province”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The University of Ottawa’s guide to … moving through Provinces &  the cultural shock that sometimes comes with!

Everyone’s grade twelve or last year of CEGEP starts with a loaded question: what am I going to do after high school? For everyone reading this article it is fairly obvious that you said university. However, that thought is usually accompanied by: where will I attend university?

Many people choose to go out of province for university, for various reasons. Maybe a certain program caught your eye, or maybe you just wanted to experience the freedom and independence of living on your own (or with roommates) in a new city. Whatever the reasons may be, everyone must go through a certain adjustment from living at home to living on your own in a new city. These adjustments can be minor, like having to do laundry for the first time, or major, like potentially dealing with homesickness and being overwhelmed. These are completely normal problems that most people deal with when they first move out, and should be approached the right way.

This guide will help you get through those adjustments that must be made, big or small, when moving out of province for school.

1.     Budget your time wisely: Not living at home anymore means more responsibility and that means that your time must be managed efficiently. For many of you, doing laundry, cleaning the house, getting groceries or even walking to campus are all new experiences. They are not difficult, but they are responsibilities that must be done. Between class and your social life, these little jobs have to be slotted in efficiently so that they do not stress you out.

2.     Take school seriously: If you are going out of province for school, chances are you will be paying rent and utilities at some point, along with tuition and books. While the freedom from parents can be exhilarating, as well as all the brand new friends you will meet, you must also remember that you are here for a reason: school. Treat it like a job, and do not let your social life come at the cost of your studies. By no means avoid having a social life, but just try to balance both. Studying on the 5th floor of Morisset might seem fun, but it is not the best idea to succeed in your classes.

3.     Keep in touch with your family: Moving out for the first time can be great and living without parents there can be fun as well: but at some point, you will become homesick. For parents, watching their child go away for school is a big moment. Just do not forget about your family back home. With the technology we have available today, it is very easy to send a quick text, call them or if you have the time, have a little Skype chat from time to time. You will miss them and they will miss you as well. A little communication between you and your family will go a long way for making you feel less homesick and reassuring them that you are doing great. 

4.    Create your own space: You are on your own for the first time, in a house or apartment that is now yours…make it your own! Decorate your space how you please, put up posters, bring mementos from home to make it feel more personal, and have a good time with it. A good living space can have a tremendously positive impact on your day to day life and potentially make you feel less homesick. That painting that your grandma gave you for Christmas of the lake next to your house may be useful after all!

5.   Discover: Being out of province in Canada means discovering a new culture ! Take advantage of the different activities offered in your new town. For example, Ottawa is home to Parliament, multiples museums and the Rideau Canal. During the summer, fun activities like Bunjee Jumping, hiking and biking are offered in the region. If you are from an anglophone community, the bilinguism of Ottawa may be intimidating, but take it as a chance to learn some french and impress your “folks” with your new language during the Holidays.

Overall, living out of province for school can be a very positive experience. For the first time, you are on your own and must balance your school life and social life in order to do well. It can be scary and stressful at times, especially with exam season looming closeby, but if you follow these simple steps, you will be well on your way to having a successful school career. Instead of focusing on the downsides of being far away from home, treat it as a life learning experience !

It was wonderful to work with Her Campus UOttawa. I am an English student who is interested in politics and economics. I love to travel (I have been to China, Thialand, Germany, Austria, and Switzerland), watch and play sports (Go Leafs Go), play video games (I am currently replaying the Legend of Zelda games for N64), and bake yummy treats (chocolate or lemon flavored). Since leaving HerCampus and UOttawa I have gone on to the University of Saskatchewan and entered into the Collage of Education.