UO App: Library Etiquette

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The University of Ottawa’s guide to … Library Etiquette

Loud roommates and other distractions getting you down? Need a quiet study space? When that paper needs to be hammered out in the next few hours we often look to Morisset Library as a study refuge. The library becomes extremely crowded around this time of the year, so here are some simple tips to follow to make your library experience pleasant for you as well as those around you.

As you may already know, the elevators are jammed packed and take away from optimal study time. To maximize quality library time, work those legs and take stairwell C, as every floor can be accessed from there. Picking a floor is very important before getting started on your work. Floor 5, also known as “Club 5”, is not ideal if you are ready to get down to business and compose those last minute study notes. This floor is generally used for group work or study groups. On each floor there are floor plan layouts that display which floors are silent and which floors permit talking. Once you have chosen your destination there are some Dos and Don’ts to keep in mind upon your arrival:

DO’S

• Pick a strategic spot: Finding a spot that will enhance your learning is essential. Find a seat with a nearby outlet if your laptop needs to be plugged in. Also, window seats are not for everyone. People watching can be a form of procrastination.
  • Bring snacks: Fuel your brain with appropriate food. It is always useful to have a few munchies nearby as you work. Before settling down in the library, consider stopping by Pivik or Second Cup so that you do not get hungry while you study.
  • Go with a friend: This can help you stay focused if you know someone else is being productive along side you. It is also useful to have someone there to watch your stuff if you need to go to the washroom.
  • Bring a water bottle: Water is essential especially if you have been drinking excessive coffee. Staying hydrated is key to concentrating. 

Now that you are fully equipped with knowledge of proper library etiquette, it is important to be aware of the fact that your behaviour in the library can take away from the study experience of others. Nobody wants to be labeled as a part of that annoying crowd that everyone stares at in the library. To prevent this shameful title, consider these tips:

DON’TS:

• When picking a place to sit, do not be that person that takes a table for five just to yourself. Especially around this time of year when finding a spot in the library is comparable to finding a parking spot during boxing day. 
  • Skype: Although you may want to prove to your friends or family that you actually go to the library, try not to be that loud person yelling on Skype. It is extremely distracting and, let’s face it, nobody wants to hear your private conversations anyway. 
  • Snacks: There is nothing more distracting than the smell of food in the library. Do not bring potent smelling foods or food in loud wrappers. Keep your snacks odourless and quiet.
  • Music: It is very unfair to impose your musical taste on people who are trying to concentrate. Although you may think that nobody can hear your music when it is on maximum, you are wrong. Keep the volume down and wear headphones to prevent distracting others.
  • Leave your things unattended: make sure someone watches your laptop and wallet when you need to take a bathroom break, or take them with you. Getting your laptop stolen the day before an exam would not be fun !
  • Speak: If you are on a quiet floor, respect the rules, it is irritating to hear people’s conversations when you are trying to concentrate. Also, even though you think you may be the only one who speaks a foreign language, you are not. The details of your night out with your boyfriend may not be kept between you and your best friend after all if someone nearby also speaks mandarin, spanish, etc!

The library does not have to be the most dreadful building on campus. It is a place that you can work diligently and be productive. Now that you are equipped with proper etiquette, Morisset is yours to enjoy. Best of luck with your studies and remember these helpful tips while planning your next library trip!

Photo credits:

http://ubyssey.ca/

http://web5.uottawa.ca/mcs-smc/visitesvirtuelles/libraries.php