This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Happy fall y’all! The season of PSLs, apple picking, and scented candles is upon us. IDK about you, but I can’t wait to break out my favourite flannels and cable-knit sweaters. But what I’m not looking forward to? The hours spent in front of the mirror trying to tuck my sweater, inevitably ending up looking like a marshmallow every time (… I don’t wanna talk about it). This year, I decided it was time for a new plan. I did the research, and here are the Internet’s 10 best answers to the seemingly unsolvable problem.

Photo by Sarah Boudreau on Unsplash

1. The French tuck — Tuck in a few inches of your sweater at the front, leaving the rest untucked, and voila! Effortlessly chic.
  2. The gather & slide — Pinch your sweater in two places mid-stomach above your belt loops (I like to do one with each hand). Pull the two sections together and slide them into the top of your bottoms. Play around with the gathers until you achieve the casual/messy/undone look you’re going for.
  3. The mushroom tuck — With this one, you’re actually trying to look like a marshmallow(?) The mushroom tuck looks best with sweatshirts or hoodies. Tuck in the hem of your sweatshirt all the way around and enjoy all the volume you’re left with up top.
  4. The tail tuck — For the tail tuck, twist a section at the bottom of your sweater and tuck it into the back of your pants. Make sure to only tuck the tip of the twist so that you don’t look like you have, you know, a tail. (Sidenote: the tail doesn’t necessarily have to be at the back. Experiment to find the location you prefer!)
  5. The double twist & tuck — Similar to the tail tuck, but this time create two twists — one above each hip. Tuck in the tips of the tails, and then tuck in the hem of your sweater all the way around. 
  6. The sports bra tuck — In one word: magic. Fold your sweater up and tuck it into your sports bra — either all the way around to create the illusion of a cropped sweater, or just at the front to play with levels.
  7. The belt hack — Not willing to sacrifice the elasticity of your sports bra? You can achieve a similar look by wearing a skinny belt around your waist or rib cage to hold your sweater in place. (PS you can also use this trick with a hair tie to shorten sleeves — just make sure the hair tie is stretched enough so that it doesn’t cut off your circulation.)
  8. The safety pin trick — A third (and more permanent) variation on this trick is to use safety pins to secure your sweater to itself, creating the perfect crop. The best part of this one is that you can choose any length you like!
  9. The tights tuck — To create a smoother look under a skirt (or even under pants, really), tuck your sweater into a pair of tights to flatten out the bulk.
  10. The full tuck — If you’re going for the full tuck, I admire your commitment. Pro tip: unzip or unbutton your bottoms first to give yourself more room to work with.

Or… you could just go untucked. Hey, it’s always an option!

Emily wrote and edited for Her Campus and Her Campus at uOttawa from 2020–2022.
Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!