Top 5 Reasons to Get Innovated in the Arts on November 18th

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

On Friday, November 18th from 10am to 5pm, in DMS 12101, the Faculty of Arts will be hosting the Arts Innovation Conference. The conference will feature keynote speakers and panellists with arts degrees — alumni, professionals, partners — who have gone on to become entrepreneurs or who have arrived at their current jobs in ‘non-traditional’ ways.

Here are our top 6 reasons why you should attend the 2016 Arts Innovation Conference!

1. It’s FREE

Did I not mention that this conference is completely free to attend? All you have to do is register online and show up. You can even come and go from the event if you have class or other commitments. Simply register here!

2. Shake some hands

Networking can be a bit scary, especially when you are a student ‘emerging’ into the professional world. This event is a perfect opportunity for you to practice your networking skills, shake some hands, and speak to both peers/professionals who may share similar interests or goals! Still a bit nervous? Invite your friends and classmates to go with you!

3. Created for YOU

Let’s face it: as ARTs students, we are definitely not being flooded with invitations to Arts-specific networking events and conferences. This is an event that has been organized by ARTS-minded people, for ARTS-minded people. Learn from professionals who have had academic experiences similar to your own all while discovering the pathways they have taken in their own careers.

4. Speakers 

(Richard Carleton, CEO of CSE)

This event is designed to help students develop an entrepreneurial mindset and learn how to start a business; featuring keynote speaker Richard Carleton, CEO of the Canadian Securities Exchange, and local personalities such as Julie Findlay, Véronique Rivest, Manuela Teixeira. All panelists are University of Ottawa Alumni, so don’t miss this fabulous networking opportunity! Network. Create. Transform. 

5. Location, Location, Location

Arts Innovation will be taking place in DMS 12101, right on campus. This way, if you have a class there are no travel inconveniences. There is also the additional pro of a starbucks being in the building, giving you easy access to some mid-day caffeine boosts!
We hope to see you there! Register for FREE and for more information on conference schedule and speakers click here.

Cover Photo: Created by Jocelyn Courneya

Second year Public Relations student at the University of Ottawa. Toronto born and raised, love acting, politics, writing, drinking strong cups of coffee, reading articles on BuzzFeed and watching Vice News documentaries when I really should be studying.