Is There A Perfect Time For Christmas Music?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Christmas season is finally upon us and most radio stations have slowly started to put Christmas music on their rotations. If it were up to me however, I’d be listening to Christmas music all year round. In most of society though, it is deemed odd to listen to Christmas music all year round. Why can’t we listen to Christmas music at any time in the year, without being laughed at by our friends? Why is it odd for people to be driving with their windows down in July listening to Jingle Bell Rock?

That brings up the question then, when is it the appropriate time to start listening to Christmas music? Everyone has different ideas on when the best times are to start listening to Christmas music. The Christmas music question seems to fuel different opinions and no real consensus. Will there ever be a compromise on the perfect day to start listening to Christmas music?                                                          

As someone who loves listening to Christmas music, I have never seen a problem with listening to Christmas music all year round. And yet, in today’s society it is deemed strange to listen to Christmas music before spooky season is official over.                                                           

So, when is it a good time to start listening to Christmas music? 

Buzzfeed, asked this question to all of its readers, in which they got a variety of answers. With the highest number of votes, 40% of people start listening to Christmas music, the day after Thanksgiving. And with the fewest votes, 6% of people listen to Christmas music, all year long. Of course, there will always be people who prefer not to listen to Christmas music, Buzzfeed survey showed that 7% of people prefer not to listen to Christmas music ever.                                                       

40% of people think that after Thanksgiving is an appropriate time to start listening to Christmas music. Which then means we have to consider that Canadians will start listening to Christmas music in October, versus the Americans who will start listening to Christmas music at the end of November. And what about people in other countries who don’t celebrate Thanksgiving at all? That leaves us with another indefinite answer of the perfect time to listen to Christmas music.                                                           

Surprisingly or not, millennials top the charts when it comes to listening to Christmas music. In fact, the New York Post, a study showed that 36% of people aged 18 to 34 listens to classic Christmas music, like Bing Crosby’s “White Christmas” (1944) and Jose Feliciano’s “Feliz Navidad” (1970).  So, when do the millennials start listening to Christmas music? The Christmas fanatics are ready to go with Christmas music the minute the clock hits twelve o’clock am on November 1st. Whereas other millennials, prefer to start listening to Christmas music after American Thanksgiving is over and the weather gets colder.                                                       

Is there really a perfect time to listen to Christmas music? Maybe, the best time to listen to Christmas music is when we get the first snow fall, or the weather drops below zero degrees. Maybe the best time to start is December 1st on the dot. Maybe it’s when spooky season is over, both Canadian and American Thanksgiving are over. Or maybe the best time to listen to Christmas music is whenever the listener wants, we all have a pair of headphones; just plug those into your phone and listen to Christmas music as your heart desires, whenever you choose to listen to it.

There is no definite answer to when the best time to start playing Christmas music is. There might never be an answer to this great debate of Christmas music. I for one, will be listening to Christmas music whenever I feel like it during the entire year, and that’s okay for me.

Just your average criminology major, who enjoys watching Supernatural, The Boys and occasionally catching a hockey game. Probably off somewhere writing a novel!
Fourth year Criminology student at the University of Ottawa, Leafs fan, makeup lover and Harry Potter enthusiast.