Life > Experiences

The Ottawa Social Girl Club Is The Perfect Way to Make Friends In Adulthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

We all know making friends in adulthood can be difficult. Even at university, chances for making genuine connections can be few and far between. Do you just walk up to people in your classes and strike up a conversation? Join a group on campus? Shake someone’s shoulders and demand to be friends? Okay, maybe not. Frankly, it can be overwhelming and nerve-wracking trying to navigate your social life once you graduate high school.

Enter the Ottawa Social Girl Club (OSGC). The club was founded by Biatris Lasu who found it challenging to make new friends and connect with like-minded individuals in Ottawa. Her own experiences inspired her to create OSGC which has since grown into a thriving community, perfect for newcomers to Ottawa and those looking to expand their social circle.

“I wanted to create a club that would provide opportunities for women to socialize, make new friends, and engage in fun activities.”

Biatris Lasu

The club hosts a variety of events that give attendees the opportunity to socialize and meet new people. Past events have included “dinner get-togethers, bowling, paint night, Christmas soirée, non-alcoholic wine tasting, Halloween costume party, NYE party, and Sunday brunches.” The club understands that each member has their own preferences—fun nights out, cozy nights in—and tries to cater to as many people as they can.

OSGC recognizes the need to ensure its events are as inclusive and welcoming as possible. Biatris says it’s important to acknowledge the challenges and barriers women face when trying to form new friendships and says they do their best to ensure they create a sense of community while encouraging active participation. The club understands that the cost of admission can be a barrier for some women who wish to attend, so prices are kept as affordable as possible (a score for those of us still in school!).

galentine\'s day party
Krista Stucchio

Each event the OSGC has put on has been memorable in its own way, but Biastris says the “sip and paint” nights and the Christmas party were especially significant. No worries if you missed out on the first few times, because more sip-and-paint nights are planned for 2023! No FOMO here.

Biatris says the Ottawa Social Girl Club is open to all women regardless of race, cultural background, sexuality, education, background, or “any other characteristic.” As long as you’re open to making new connections, there’s a spot for you at OSGC events.

For me, diversity isn’t just a buzzword. When people from different backgrounds come together, they bring unique perspectives and experiences that enrich the conversation and create a more dynamic and fulfilling experience for everyone. That’s why we work hard to ensure that our events are reflective of this belief.

Biatris Lasu

But why are so many women struggling to make friends? Biatris says the demands women face from work, family, and other responsibilities leave us with less time and energy to put into making new friendships. Add on the pressure to feel perfect in our professional and personal lives, we’re often faced with feelings of anxiety or insecurity that make it even harder to bond with others. Not to mention the extremely taxing expectation for women to be nurturing caregivers or feeling the effects of “imposter syndrome” which Biatris says she herself is no stranger to. These can all lead to us grappling with difficulties in making new friends.

Overall, I think that the key to overcoming the challenges of making friends in adulthood is to prioritize socializing, and to find communities or groups that align with your interests and values. By doing so, you can build meaningful relationships that enrich your life and provide you with the support and connection that you need to thrive.

Biatris Lasu

Interested in taking part in OSGC’s events? Give them a follow on Instagram where events and regular updates and announcements are posted. This year, you can look forward to wine-tasting events (19+), pottery classes, brunches, paint nights, and even co-ed events. Trying to read more books this year? Check out the OSGC’s book club!

“I am excited about the future of the Ottawa Social Girl Club and am grateful for the support of our members and the wider community. I believe that the OSCG club is more than just a social gathering; it is a community that empowers women to connect, grow, and thrive. I look forward to welcoming new members and continuing to build lasting bonds with women from all walks of life in Ottawa.”

Biatris Lasu
Grace Cowie

U Ottawa '24

Grace is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at uOttawa. She oversees the entire club, acts as a liason between the chapter and the university, and provides final edits and feedback for all content posted on the site. Outside of her role at Her Campus, Grace is a 5th year student studying communications and sociology, with plans to enter the PR or marketing field upon graduation. She enjoys running, old movies, new music, baking, and reading, and spending time with the amazing HC at uO team!