8 Halloween Movies to Watch if You’re a Scaredy Cat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

I’ve never been one to enjoy scary movies, and I know I’m not the only one. I’ve always been the type to get scared easily—or, as some people might say, a scaredy cat. If you’re anything like me, you’ll enjoy this list of my favourite Halloween movies to watch that are perfect for people who don’t enjoy horror films. They’re ideal for getting yourself into the Halloween spirit without sacrificing your beauty sleep.

Scary movie

I watch the Scary Movie series every year. The movies are a parody of popular scary movies like Scream, and basically make fun of horror films. You’ll definitely be laughing the whole time, and most importantly, they’re not scary at all. You also don’t need to be familiar with horror movies to enjoy this series, and it’s perfect for a Halloween movie marathon because there are a total of five films. What are you waiting for? Get your candy and popcorn, and get started!

The Addams Family

Halloween always makes me think of the beloved Addams Family. They’re probably the weirdest family, with odd hobbies like cutting rose heads or torturing each other. Despite that, they’re still adorable. I’m a huge fan of the movie, and luckily, there are two different ones available on Netflix: The Addams Family and Addams Family Values. Also, let’s not forget the super catchy, finger-snapping song that will definitely stay in your head after watching the movies.

Ghostbusters

When you think of Halloween, you probably think of ghosts—which brings me to the next movie on our list: Ghostbusters. In this case, I mean both the classic 80’s film and the recent one starring Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon, and Kristen Wiig, as both versions are amazing and very memorable. Either Ghostbusters movie is perfect for getting yourself in the spooky spirit—without getting spooked, obviously. If you still haven’t watched Ghostbusters, you definitely need to. After you do, you’ll be able to appreciate the classic Ghostbusters theme song even more.

Coraline

Coraline is one of my all-time favourite movies. It’s the story of a young girl who moves into a new house, where she discovers a small door that, at night, opens a tunnel into… Well, I’ll let you find out for yourself. It’s a bit creepy, but with lovable and weird characters, it’s the perfect recipe for a Halloween evening movie.

Goosebumps

The book series terrified me when I was a kid, and I know I’m not the only one. The movie is an adaptation of the Goosebumps series by author R.L. Stine. To summarize the movie quickly: Zack moves into a new town and finds out that his neighbour is the famous writer, R.L. Stine, from the Goosebumps series. Zack befriends his daughter, and one night, they accidentally let all the monsters from Stine’s books out into the city. It’s a movie packed full of action that won’t leave you bored. The whole time, you’ll wonder what the other monsters look like and what’s coming next.

Hotel Transylvania

Okay, I had to add Hotel Transylvania to the list. It’s a hilarious movie with funny and adorable characters. And let’s not forget that Adam Sandler, Andy Samberg, and the amazing Selena Gomez voice the main characters. It’s the perfect feel-good, October movie.

Scooby-Doo

Scooby-Doo reminds me of my childhood. We’re all familiar with the Scooby-Doo cartoons, but this live-action, ’02 film is amazing. If you’re like me, you used to watch this movie all the time as a kid. Now, as an adult, you’ll definitely get jokes you didn’t understand when you were younger—which will make you laugh extra hard and appreciate this movie so much more.

Corpse bride

Lastly, let’s not forget about this masterpiece. It’s a very aesthetically pleasing animated movie. It’s a little bit weird, a little bit creepy, and very mysterious, which is perfect for Halloween. The storyline is amazing—basically, the main character, Victor, ends up unintentionally marrying a dead girl named Emily. After watching this movie, you’ll definitely think twice about where you practice your wedding vows… you wouldn’t want to accidentally marry a dead person.

That makes up the list of Halloween movies to enjoy if you’re a scaredy cat (like me). What are you waiting for? Get your cozy blanket, PJs, and some Halloween candy, and start your movie night!

Third year Communication student who loves coffee and has a passion for fitness, fashion, running, movies, and cooking.