This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you have access to the internet (and if you’re reading this, then it’s safe to assume you do), you might have heard of a show called Squid Game. Released back in 2021, the Korean thriller quickly gained traction online and reached international success, drawing in tons of popularity for both the actors and the K-Drama genre as a whole.

When Squid Game started getting popular, I was one of those people who sat there staring at Twitter like, “yes, this is what I’ve been telling you!” 

Now, I’m here to tell you about a few other shows you should be watching.

Over the last few years, I’ve found myself both constantly on the lookout for new shows to binge, and consistently rewatching some old ones. If you’re someone who likes classic romcoms, is looking for a new show to watch and doesn’t mind subtitles (unless you speak Korean, in which case, no need), I highly recommend any and all of the following — and before you ask, yes, they’re all available on Netflix. 

1. Crash Landing Into You (2019)

Crash Landing is my staple. It’s the show I recommend to everyone, because of the several people I have practically forced to watch it, not a single one of them has ever had a bad thing to say. Crash Landing follows South Korean heiress, Yoon Se-ri, after a storm sends her paraglider over the border and into North Korean territory. There, she’s found by an army officer, Lee Jeonghyeok, who becomes pretty much the only thing standing between her and execution as she tries to find a way back home.

1. Itaewon Class (2020)

I stumbled across Itaewon Class back when the pandemic had only just started, and I was spending my days aimlessly scrolling through Netflix. At first, it didn’t really sound all that interesting, but then I decided to give it a shot. Within two episodes, it had become one of my new favourite shows. It follows an ex-con as he tried to avenge for his father’s murder in a far more legal and less-deadly way than what you might be thinking. With the help of a few friends, he strives to build his business — a street bar — into an empire of its own.  

1. Start-Up (2020)

Start-Up is another one of those shows that can be summed up pretty easily as a feel-good romantic comedy. It also stars two of my favourite actors — Nam Joo-hyuk and Bae Suzy. The drama follows Seo Dal-mi (Bae Suzy) as she ventures into an entrepreneurship competition alongside Nam Do-san (Nam Joo-hyuk), who she wrongly believes to be her childhood friend and first love. 

1.  It’s Okay To Not Be Okay (2020)

Though still obviously a romantic comedy, It’s Okay to Not Be Okay leans a little more in the direction of mystery and thriller than anything else on this list. Granted, it’s nothing like Squid Game — there are really just a few scenes that might be a little frightening, including one involving sleep paralysis that kept me awake for a few hours afterwards. The drama follows anti-social and eccentric children’s book author Go Moon Young as she sets her sights on psychiatric hospital employee Moon Gang-tae, unaware of just how intertwined their lives, and the tragedies of their pasts, might be.

Bonus: While You Were Sleeping (2017)

I call this one the bonus show because, unlike the others, it’s not available on Netflix. That being said, it’s still one of my all-time favourites and definitely deserves some recognition. While You Were Sleeping follows young ex-field reporter Nam Hong-joo (played by the aforementioned Bae Suzy), who, ever since she was a child, has had visions of the future while she dreams. Her life becomes intertwined with those of prosecutor Jung Jae-chan and police officer Han Woo-tak, resulting in what can essentially be described as a mix of fantasy and legal drama rolled into one.

The great thing about K-Dramas is that they’re usually only ever 16 episodes long. That means that even if you do end up binge-watching one of the above shows, you’ll finish it pretty quickly, and your semester grades shouldn’t suffer too much. So, really, you don’t have anything to lose.

Hailey Otten

U Ottawa '23

Hailey is a fourth-year English and classics student at the University of Ottawa. Hoping to one day weasel her way into a career in publishing, she can often be found either searching local bookstores for new reads or writing her future bestseller (🤞🏻).