This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If you’re a uOttawa student, you have probably encountered at least a handful of student associations. From IPPSAA to Telfer and everything in between, there are 21 Federated Bodies according to the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO). Every faculty has unique traits, events and perks that can help make your university experience fun no matter how involved you are in student politics. Here are some of the perks of being part of one of the smaller FedBodies on campus:

1. 101 Week isn’t so intimidating

101 Week can be a lot of fun but getting to know hundreds of people all at once is pretty much impossible. Smaller 101 Week groups make it easy to bond with first year students (who are probably just as nervous as you are) and it gives you the opportunity to bond with your guides as well.

2. Smaller Class Sizes

Who really wants to sit in a lecture hall filled with hundreds of people all of the time? While you may have to deal with a few large classes in your first few years, class sizes are drastically reduced by the time you hit your third or fourth year. This makes your classes more personal and it’ll be easier to bond with your classmates. You’ll also probably have classes with the same people in your program so you’ll always have someone to study with!

3. Textbook Swaps

Textbooks are expensive. If you’re in a small program, it’s easier to reach out to upper year students because you know they’ve also had those same mandatory classes. I know for a fact that some social science faculties hold the occasional textbook exchange throughout the semester so watch your faculty’s website and Facebook pages for events that could save you whole lot of money!

4. The Sense of Community 

Graham Robertson, the second year anglo representative for the Conflict and Human Rights Association (CHRA) says “You are able to engage with the rest of the student association easily, form close friendships with everyone, and give each other support when it’s needed!” Sabrina Tee, another second year CHRA student says “You feel like you’re part of a beautiful family full of people who are so socially conscious and who care about similar causes as you do! Unlike bigger programs, you recognize most people in our program and it makes it easier to make connections!”

Whatever student association you’re part of, there are so many ways to connect with fellow students in your program! What do you love about your student association? 

References

SFUO, UNITER

Picture Credits

Cover Picture, 1, 2, 3 & 4

Emily first got involved in the University of Ottawa's Her Campus chapter in 2015 and is currently part of the Entertainment team. She is in her final year of Conflict Studies and Human Rights with a minor in Women's Studies, works for Public Safety Canada as a Junior Communications Officer and is the President of Theta Sigma Psi sorority.