katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
katie harp dRCjgmc4B8I unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Show Me the Money! Tips for Saving a Few Bucks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

As a university student, it can be hard to stay on budget. If you are a full-time student with no job, you watch as your bank account diminishes right before your very eyes. Even if you work while attending school, you can still watch a lot of your hard-earned money go away. Between general expenses like groceries and money put aside for going out, it can be hard to save your money. Lucky for you, there are some great rewards programs that allow for you to get money while you spend money. Here are some of our favourite programs for you to consider joining:

PC Points
PC Points is one of the most common rewards programs used by students. It starts by getting a PC Plus rewards card, which is free and can be found at any Loblaws or Superstore location. You then register the card online and are given personalized offers each week that help you earn points. The weekly flyers also tell you what items you can earn points on from buying. Every time you visit stores where PC Points are accepted, you swipe the card and earn the points. When you reach 20,000 points you can start redeeming the points for money off your groceries. Points are redeemed in increments of 10,000 after that. For example, if you earn 43,000 points, you can redeem $40 off your groceries and save the 3,000 points for the next 20,000 points. Stores that accept PC Plus cards include Maxi, Provigo, Loblaws, Superstore, and Independent, to name a few. So next time you want that pint of Ben & Jerry’s, you can buy it and work your way to getting free groceries!

Shoppers Optimum
Going to the pharmacy is inevitable; you may need shampoo, tampons, or even just a candy bar to give you a boost during the day. Shoppers Optimum works a lot like PC Points, where you get a free rewards card and register it for coupons. You earn rewards in the same way, getting coupons and using your card to earn points. For every dollar you spend, you earn 10 points, which can be redeemed for free items. This is great to have in your rewards toolbox, and allows for you to save money on items that can be a little more on the pricier side.

Scene Card
When Finding Dory comes out in June, or when My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 comes out at the end of March, you may find yourself wanting to head to the movies for a nice night eating popcorn. Scene is great for visiting the movies; every 1000 points you earn gets you a free movie ticket! You can also redeem your points for rewards at East Side Mario’s, Swiss Chalet, Harvey’s, and Montana’s, and earn points at these same places. For you lucky Scotiabank customers, you can get the Scene debit or Scene credit card, which allows you to earn points on every dollar you spend with it. I have especially been able to use this, and currently have a few free movies that I can’t wait to use!! The Scene card is free to anyone and you can sign up right on their website! So now you can go out with your friends without having to spend a dime!

Checkout51
While Checkout51 isn’t necessarily a rewards program, it still is very useful. Checkout51 is an app for your phone or tablet that allows you to earn money on items that you purchase. This can include anything from cereal to shampoo to whiskey. All you have to do is download the app, create an account (which is free), and view the offers. After you have done your shopping, you upload your receipt by taking a picture of the whole thing and claiming the offers on the items you purchased. Once you have redeemed $20, you can request for your cheque to be sent to you. Who doesn’t like free money?! This is my favorite app to have on my phone because it applies to all stores and has a lot of commonly bought items.

Starbucks/Second Cup
If you’re a coffee addict, a smoothie lover, or a tea enthusiast, these cards may be beneficial to you. Second Cup’s rewards earn you 10 points for every dollar you spend. Once you earn 500 points (or $50), you get a free drink. That’s only 25 medium hot coffees! For Starbucks, you earn a star (their points) for every item you purchase (beverage, food, etc.). Right now if you’re a Gold level member (it takes 30 stars to earn this), you get a free drink for every 12 stars you earn. This will change soon; Starbucks just announced that now for every dollar you spend, you will receive 2 stars. At Gold level (300 stars), you then have to earn 125 stars to get a free drink. This program is good for Starbucks faithfuls; you can gain your stars and get a free drink too!

Some programs work better than others, depending on the individual. The key is to do your research, find what will benefit you, and then use it to your full advantage! University can be a struggle, but saving money doesn’t always have to be. The possibilities are endless!

Sources:
PC Financial, RedFlagDeals, Scene, Time, Second Cup

Picture Credits
Cover Picture,1

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!